1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roger Hicks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Desperately sad news.I trust Frances is being looked after.

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear this. My condolences to Frances and their daughter, who Roger often talked about.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Sad news.:(

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

A great loss, not only to Frances, but to all of us.

S

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

We had our battles, but I would not have wished it on him, or anyone. Above all, a character and there are few enough of them about.

Brian and Learning like this.
  7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Indeed, somebody that whether you agreed with them or not, you couldn't help but like and respect.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I thought Roger had a wonderfully wicked sense of humour, but I found him to be compassionate as well. The forum seems a bit darker at the moment.

9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

It's strange, but it seems akin to losing a friend........ despite never having met him.

I guess that's a characteristic of the internet age: we can now make 'friends' whom we never meet. :confused:

Of course, years ago, people used to become pen-pals, but that's not something that ever interested me (have to admit that it always seemed slightly odd, to me o_O).

10. peterba

I have to agree, David. :(

11. peterba

Oddly, the post on RFF announcing this was is shown as being posted 21 hours ago, as I write this. That would be about 11:30am yesterday. The post says "Roger passed away on Sunday (yesterday)". However, Roger's profile on here shows his most recent visit at 2:51pm yesterday (Monday).

It could be a time-zone thing, I suppose, but I haven't tried to work out whether that would explain it. Of course, in the circumstances, I'm certainly not trying to make something out of an insignificant matter, but it's slightly puzzling. :confused:

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Possibly Frances looking to see if we were aware of his passing.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This is why I wrote "It's been reported". In cases like this it's always best to be cautious in case the information is incorrect.

peterba likes this.
  14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'll pass on that.

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I make no distinction between my online friends and people I have physically met. I feel like I've lost two friends this week and the other one was someone on my cat FB group (and before that Usenet) who died last Friday

16. peterba

Yes, Martin - that thought did cross my mind, but I dismissed it on the basis that she would probably have weightier matters on her mind, at present. However, it certainly could be a plausible explanation.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  17. peterba

Indeed, Leslie. I've discovered - perhaps, a little to my surprise - that I'm now regarding this in the same way,

18. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

And of course some people I first met online I have then met in real life including some people on here

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I always thought of having online friends as being odd, but I guess it is the way it is nowadays. I class people on here as friends and I base that on a simple thing and that is would I like to have a pint with them. Never met anyone from here but have met a few people from a band forum I used to frequent.

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I only use 2 forums. The other is a invitation only affair and is really just a bunch of salt water flyfishing buddies who needed a convienient way to arrange meets and discuss techniques and venues. We all knew each other already.

The other, obviously, is here. Whilst I don’t have a dislike of anyone here and if I met any of you in the real world we’d probably get on, there is in reality only four people I would go out of my way to actually meet.(I won’t embarrass them by naming them)