1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robust camera for kids and idiots?!

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Scruff, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Scruff

Scruff New Member

I work in a residential unit for children aged 10-13, and I am looking to buy a camera that can be used by the kids, and by staff, most of whom know very little about photography. Therefore it needs to be simple and robust.

Ideally it would be nice to get one with a short shutter lag as well, as it would be used for lots of action shots. Oh, and the moon on a stick as well, please! ;)

Can anyone point me in the direction of any good models? My budget is not yet set, but will probably be in the sub-£200 region.

Thanks!

2. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

I take it by the way you said short shutter lag that you're looking for a digital? If you give us some more information on how the camera's going to be used I'm sure one of the bods on here will point you in the right direction.

3. Scruff

Scruff New Member

Yes, sorry, I did mean digital.

It will be used for the children to take photos of the things that are important to them, so some photos of artwork and so on, and for children and staff to photograph activities and trips, so lots of outdoor pictures.

So really, a kind of family camera, that can stand up to a reasonable amount of use.

I'm not sure what other information would help, if there is anything specific, I'll do my best.

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Best all round value dc at the mo is the Casio Z120 (£149) – I have heard tales of them being dropped down mountain sides – however, a long strap put round the neck of all users should increase the life of the dc :D

The camera has very little shutter lag and can be turned off as well – Note: for fast action shooting with any digicam, if you set the mode dial to ‘infinity’ and keep the lens at it’s widest opening (no zoom), then there is no shutter lag and images will be sharp from around 3 feet out!

<span style="color:red">Click for demo... </span>

<span style="color:red">Buy through Amazon (Pixmania)... </span>

Chris [​IMG] …have fun!

5. BillyBumbler

BillyBumbler Active Member

We have a "fleet" of about a dozen Canon IXUS 40 digitals at work. They get used daily by Highway Inspectors. They get dropped, trod on and generally mistreated. They've proved very reliable!

6. TomG

TomG Well-Known Member

if the 40 is anything like my V2 then they'll be tough little blighters! I can't count how many knocks and site visits my V2 has survived. The only thing it didn't survive was my evil laser :(

7. Scruff

Scruff New Member

Thanks all for your help, it's opened up some ideas I hadn't come across before. Just have to steer clear of evil lasers

8. gouranga

gouranga Well-Known Member

I had a Casio QV-R4 4mp camera. It didn't have much shutter lag and I can vouch for it's reliability. I'd suggest you have a few test shots in the local camera store before you buy (Once you have narrowed down to a few models).

9. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Probably a compact with a prime lens, they are less likely to break.

10. flasheart

flasheart Well-Known Member

If you want to save some money try going for a 2mp second hand camera. These can be picked up fairly cheaply and will still give quality 6x4 prints no problem. You'll then be able to gauge how robust a new camera would need to be.