1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Surfaces (especially Scotland)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Apr 5, 2018.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Never, ever fall out with a Mumsnetter...They're flippin' psychopaths.

2. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

It certainly seems to make the disagreements we have on here seem mild

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

An annual cycling event in Suffolk featuring 550 riders has been postponed because the route is "peppered" with potholes.
    The organising committee said that having risk-assessed the route, the road conditions were "unsafe" for a mass-participation event.

In a statement on the website, it said: "The route uses many smaller back lanes and rural roads which are unfortunately peppered with a high number of potentially dangerous potholes and debris from flooding."

As a cyclist myself, I feel the quiet back roads are generally safer than main roads even if the potholes are worse, as you usually have time and space to avoid the them, but on main roads with overtaking traffic you can't deviate from your line.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-43752236

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I think the key phase here is "mass participation events"
    If you're cycling on your own then you can easily(?) see and avoid potholes, but if you're in a crowd of other cyclists it might not be so easy, or even possible.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The number of crashes and punctures would likely take the fun out of it. Also, getting loads of bikes and riders back if they bend a wheel or something would require planning and possibly more cost as the "sweeper" vehicle might just be a big car driven by a volunteer. The marshals directing riders might be volunteers too.