1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Rise of the Nazis" BBC2. Rather familiar today!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CollieSlave, Sep 11, 2019.

1. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Active Member

My wife and I are watching this excellent series. It is part original film, and part dramatization with a commentary. It is quite disturbing how often the commentary could well apply to Boris and his cohorts - indeed we have got into the habit of saying to each other "Boris" as some particular part of the commentary seemed relevant to what we see and hear at Westminster and on media (initially we would say "sounds like Boris" but this has been abbreviated to "Boris" to minimize interruptions to what we are watching).
    And the actor portraying Himmler bears a distinctly unsettling resemblance to Rees-Mogg!!

saxacat, peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The big bairn couldn't score so he picked his ball up and went home.

peterba likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think it was ever thus. Certainly the Romans had similar feelings and actions. Clans in Scotland did a good job of trying to wipe each other out. The Near East Far East did/does a good job in ethnic cleansing. It's everywhere, then and now.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  4. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

We'be had any number of these [programmes, I suspect the timing of this one is not coincidental.

5. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Active Member

Of course it's not coincidental as every sensible person knows the BBC plans months ahead to subvert and undermine the government of the day!

William Parker likes this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think that the issue is rather that Reees-Mogg bears a distinctly unsettling resemblance to Himmler, in more ways than one.

CollieSlave likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

How dare you insult...

...poor old Heinrich? Doesn't he have enough to contend with when people noise around his lack in the knickers department? :confused:

8. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Took their time. They've had nine years with this lot.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

That's about right. 'Mein Kampf' was written in 1925 and 'The night of the long knives' was in 1934.

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I had to dig out and refer to my (inherited) pre-war English translation copy of Mein Kampf a few weeks ago in relation to another forum thread, and one consistent similarity between its contents and the current Brexit 'debate' is the need to blame all our problems on somebody else... Perhaps this is always the easiest and quickest way to build up the membership.

CollieSlave likes this.
  11. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

What, women's knickers and not underpants?
    Spike Milligan reckoned Hitler stood up in his car because he suffered badly from Piles. The piece of paper Chamberlain was holding when he came back from Germany, was a script for haemorrhoid ointment. Unfortunately, the chemist hated Hitler and gave him a triple-strength laxative, thereby causing WW2!

CollieSlave likes this.
  12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Probably. But I think it was a typo, and should have read "knackers". ;)

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

History does not repeat itself but it rhymes.
    Sadly I have to credit Mark Twaine for this truism. Too obvious to mention? Maybe?

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Caught up with part 2 last night.

It really is chilling to see how democracy can be wiped out by the democratic process.
    When the next election campaign comes up, I think this series should be paraded as what happens when a 'chancellor' decides to do what they want rather than what parliament wants.

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

We need to be reminded from time to time just how fragile democracy is.

Good orators like the late tony Ben and perhaps Reese Mogg can make even the most gross concepts sound reasonable while they are speaking.
    On reflection, later, you see it was all smoke and mirrors.
    But they major, on coating everything in popularism to disguise their agenda, and can fool many people, much of the time.
    Their trick is to anathematise any critical thinking, with the honey of self interest.

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It seems that whenever a country is at a low ebb the extremists come in and take charge in the name of the people.
    Emperor Ming to Flash Gordon- I can make you ruler of the earth, following their recent traumas they will be more pliable...(or something along those lines):eek:

Terrywoodenpic and CollieSlave like this.
  17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

How many Tory MPs have quit since parliament was prowronged* compared to the same number of days before?

*Scottish spelling:p;)