1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Off Apoy 2017

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by barry_scott, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Damn! With you and twenty five others I could have been bound for first place!

Thanks anyway...

Cheers, Jeff

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

... and you'd have to potentially vote for all the other images, or on average, half of them, because you can't go to a single image and vote for it. You have to view the images in the order they're presented, you can't skip them, you can't find a specific one.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Do some people actually review 4000 images? Unbelievable.

4. Fishboy

The more images you review, the more virtual badges you earn and, as we all know, virtual photograph rating badges are a real chick-magnet! I've taken to carrying a stout stick everywhere I go in case I need to employ it to beat back the drooling masses of besotted womanhood.

Cheers, Jeff

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

AND, it still wont help him win the Sigma gear, but then I think you've already mentioned that........;)

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I have fairly religiously entered APOY for the past 7 or 8 years, occasionally getting into the top 30 and, very occasionally, into the top 10.

However, I am afraid that this new format just turns me cold. There are plenty other competitions to enter and exhibitions to support without having to have images plastered over internet websites. To be truthful, I just got put off by the convoluted entry process and all the requirements associated with the website being used. I'd rather see one of my prints on an exhibition wall than a digital representation on a website. I'd rather hear a round of applause when a judge makes some favourable comments than get a thousand "likes" on an online gallery.

But, as I have said countless times on this forum, it is horses for courses.

IvorCamera likes this.
  7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

There is no substitute for a print on a exhibition wall.......and just think in a few years time people will be asking whats that?

8. Fishboy

Well, if you're in London next week you can catch one of mine at The Strand Gallery!

I've just got an e-mail telling me that I'm in an exhibition - which makes a change from me making an exhibition of myself which is far more the norm.

Cheers, Jeff

Catriona, EightBitTony and andymcd like this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Oh yes, there is a post on one of the other AP forums where someone says they rated, if I remember correctly, something like 31,000 images in 2017 so far. I can imagine [in a fatigue free world of infinite internet MBPS] dismissing that many but properly assessing .... no.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

First half of the sentence: absolutely true.

Second half: absolute nonsense. Why on earth should photographic prints die out, and more than drawing, oil painting, water-colours, horses, bicycles...

Cheers,

R.

Gezza and Catriona like this.
  11. IvorCamera

What I meant to say was I think in a few years time there will be nobody printing pictures to put on exhibition walls, you have to agree that people printing their own pictures now seem less and less and pictures on computer screens and mobile phones are increasing at an alarming rate, I really do think that the days of looking back on printed pictures are now very limited.

12. EightBitTony

Honestly, I don't think that's true. I think that printing your own images is easier than ever, and plenty of people do it. I also don't think it's 'alarming' that images on computer screens and phones are increasing. I think it's fantastic. More choice, more options, more photographs, more people engaged in photography, it's all good.

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that I do have to agree. To be sure, there are countless millions of pictures on computer screens, but there are also countless exhibitions, clubs and people printing pictures. My suspicion is that in absolute terms, there are probably more "fine prints" (or whatever you want to call them, to distinguish them from snapshots) being made today than (say) 50 years ago. As a proportion of the total number , they are certainly fewer; but the total number of pictures made or displayed is so vast that there is plenty of room for the absolute numbers to have increased. Even if they are declining, it is still flat nonsense to say that "in a few years time there will be nobody printing pictures to put on exhibition walls".

Cheers,

R.

14. IvorCamera

I dont really want to get away from rip off APOTY, I just wish my answer now had been started on a fresh forum! But I still think my original answer was still slightly misunderstood....I am saying no more on this matter.....

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Have to say I print far less pictures than I used to, but far more for hanging on walls.

Catriona and Roger Hicks like this.
  16. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

It seems strange that we have posters here saying the on-line vote doesn't matter, the judging panel has the final say. Why, in that case, have a popular vote on-line?

As for the fees payable, I understand that there is a 'cost' involved in running the competition, but that has always and ever been the case for AP. What has changed? I can remember when AP, on a much smaller staff head count and more pages to fill, ran to a dedicated Competitions Manager, good old Constance Dack.

Are the 'sponsors' now more in name only? Are they expecting AP to pay for, or at least contribute to, the prizes? Or are the TimeInc accountants costing out the magazine staff time and are hoping the fee charged for the extra entries will bring in a revenue that matches or exceeds that time cost? That could be a big failure if a lot of entrants go for just one entry.

Or are AP sales declining further and this is a hopeful 'wizard wheeze' to increase revenues overall?

I was thinking APOY is something I should really find time to have a go at, but I also find this new way of entering rather discouraging.

17. EightBitTony

There are two competitions on one. The first is judged by the Photocrowd users, and the winners receive a free subscription to AP.

The second is judged only and entirely by the panel of judges, without reference to the Photocrowd scores, and is the one which counts as 'Winning APOY'.

'The new way of entering is mechanically easier. Sign up to the site, submit one picture a month.

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Tony, realise that but is not the entry 'whittled down' by the popular vote for the Panel to make their final choice? Or have I got that wrong? Sorry, haven't got time to go back through the two Threads right now to check. Cheers, Oly

19. EightBitTony

You've got it wrong, there's no whittling.

"The Judging Panel

All entries are reviewed by a panel of Photography experts from Amateur Photographer, and a special guest judge for each contest"

20. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Tony is correct. The other judges and myself went through all 4000 of the entries in the judging section of the back end, which displays neither the name of the entrant or any scoring that may have been given by the crowd. The crowd part is entirely separate and has its own prize of an AP subscription.