1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Off Apoy 2017

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by barry_scott, Apr 22, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Don't forget - it's two competitions. One voted for by the Photocrowd bunch, and one selected by the 6 AP judges. The 6 AP judges aren't using the Photocrowd scores. So your claim is kind of wrong.

Oh, and I fundamentally disagree with your view that social media sites are sad, nerdish or full of numpties. You do know plenty of world-class photographers share their images on social media, and there are many thousands of amazing high quality photographs on Flickr which are both inspiring and beautiful?

Nigel_Atherton and jacobs_mark like this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Tony,

And tens of millions that aren't.

And even the good ones are STILL on a bloody computer screen.

Cheers,

R.

3. EightBitTony

So?

So?

Given I'm predictable, you should have known that's what I'd say, naturally.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not really. It isn't compulsory to look at the website and the 4000 entries. The judges will do their thing and the results posted in AP just as before as I understand it. Those that like to spend hours in front of the screen can be delighted too.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Anybody that could post this level of unmitigated nonsense can hardly accuse anybody else of being a numpty. If you don't understand something, it's far more sensible to ask than to jump to completely erroneous conclusions.

Nigel_Atherton and jacobs_mark like this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Dear Tony,

So... You prefer to waste your time wading through Flickr. I prefer almost any other way of wasting my time as compared with Flickr.

and

So... If you really don't see the difference between original prints, photomechanical reproduction and everything on the same computer screen, you're either very lucky or very unlucky. Impossible for anyone except you to tell.

Yes, you're predictable, but I'd have thought you could do better than that.

Cheers,

R.

7. EightBitTony

No, I use the tools to manage what I see.

You'll note I never said I didn't see a difference, I just said why does it matter. There's more than one way to view an image, and limiting yourself to only one approach seems shallow.

I'm happy to disappoint. Anyway, I'll keep looking at and enjoying the output of some of the Magnum photographers on social media.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

How do you know Roger?

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Kate,

Sorry, how do I know what? If you're talking about "as compared with flickr", it didn't take me long to find out that I enjoy going through flickr about as much as unblocking a gutter.

Cheers,

R.

10. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

If gutters were, say, at waist level, then I imagine that unblocking them would be quite a pleasurable experience.

Cheers, Jeff (not a great fan of ladders)

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I had a friend who owned quite a lot of property. The one job he always did himself was the gutters. He reckoned a clean gutter was a thing of beauty. Couldn't see it myself but he was a good and generous man and much missed.

12. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Some one has bought something up which had not crossed my mind until now! its the do us a favour and vote for me brigade...anybody who is on Facebook or Twitter will now exactly where I am coming from..........This is the last post from me on this matter I feel I have made my point known I just hope that the powers that be take notice of my own personal view on this matter.....I.C.

13. EightBitTony

But, and it's been said several times, the actual winner isn't affected by the voting, the actual winner, is, as it has always been, picked by the judges. The voting wins you a free sub to AP. The judges pick the actual winner and the voting plays no part. So, it doesn't matter how many social media likes you receive, it won't help.

jacobs_mark likes this.
  14. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You're gonna have to bang your head against the wall a few more times........You're not getting through ;)

15. IvorCamera

Errr Yes I do know that!........Fin.

16. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

So this comment is based on what evidence exactly?
    I'm not aware of anyone who is using their social media channels to solicit votes on Photocrowd, and if they did they would need hundreds of people to vote for them to have any influence. And lets just suppose they had this kind of support and did this – all they would win is a subscription to AP, because the main winners, who are the ones who get the Sigma kit, are chosen by a panel comprised of AP and Sigma staff.

This post says more about your prejudices towards social media than in does about APOY.

17. IvorCamera

I think I am being drawn back into this debate....I cant comment on jimbos comment but in the past while on f/b people on there have asked for support and votes in various competitions that they have entered and have been placed in top 50 or 100 hundred position I have not seen it for a AP photo competition though, but in our local newspaper they have a bonny baby comp once a year, then f/b is full of vote for this one or other......I think its time to close this debate soon and just see who is right and who is wrong....I look forward to seeing the results and the names of the photographers who took the winning pictures....

18. Roger Hicks

Why close it? Online debates are rarely formally closed. The just peter out when no-one has anything further useful to say.

Of course, that's for a given value of "anything further useful to say."

I fully take your point, though, about "Vote For Me" on Facebook and the like, which strikes me as indescribably tacky.

Cheers,

R.

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I understand the difference between the expert judged portion of the competition and the user-rated part...and as I've already said I regard the whole competition as a bit of fun and don't have any particular objection to the way you've decided to run it this year.

That said, I find the - albeit relatively insignificant - Photocrowd rating part of the competition to be quite amusing and have no reservations whatsoever about taking the mickey out of this aspect of the voting.

My first two paragraphs are just to emphasise the fact that I don't have any particular axe to grind here when I point out that the current first place picture has been rated 102 times, of which 35 have been three star ratings. Mine has been rated 104 times of which 9 have been three star ratings (I'm obviously too subtle for the hoi polloi). Surely I don't need hundreds of people to vote for me...I just need twenty six people to vote mine as three stars and everybody else's as one star...the only problem is that those twenty six people will have to vote on all four thousand and odd pictures! The thing about the rating process is that you can't leap in and say "I want to vote on Jeff's picture" - you have to vote on what you're given.

You could say that it's the very success of the competition in attracting 4000+ entries that has rendered the idea of asking for votes on social media impractical.

Cheers, Jeff

20. IvorCamera

Ok fishboy....put your photo on here! or send a low res by email to me so I will know which is yours and I will vote for it!..........its as easy as that......oh forget it I forgot I am not a member of Photocrowd anymore.........