1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Off Apoy 2017

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by barry_scott, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I imagine that the viewing options available to official judges are somewhat different to those available to us, the great unwashed.

Going through and dismissing those with watermarks (although I've found some of the watermarks to be far more artistic than the pictures they're attached to!) as well as those which are obviously off-brief (ie. glorious technicolor) should reduce things to more manageable proportions.

Where the judges go after that...well...assuming that it is anonymous as we've been told, then looking at the entries from the professionals who've previously won...er....I mean keen amateurs who own their own graphic design businesses (most certainly not photography businesses!)...isn't an option. Perhaps the judges put together their own individual shortlists and then get together to thrash things out...who knows?

At the end of the day, despite my criticisms of the competition, I still see it as just a bit of fun. Perhaps that point of view will change if I start to score points...at which point I'll saddle Bessy, my favourite pig, and fly her down to London where I can do some street photography for the next round whilst taking advantage of the marvelous warm reflections which undoubtedly shine up from the golden-paved streets. In the mean time I think I'll just keep submitting my entries and see how they do.

Cheers, Jeff

Update: I'm getting closer to my original estimate of 400th place...I've now gone from 800 and odd to the low 400s...damn!...now I really wish I'd unleashed a bit of HDR processing onto my entry...I could have made the top 200!

Catriona likes this.
  2. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

APOY........Amateur Photographer of The Year.......I think its time for a name change to.....POTY.......Picture Of The Year...... end of story! The Amateur part is not required now.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That reminds me of something I read in AP a very long time ago. I think it was Victor Blackman who wrote that the real difference between an amateur photographer and a professional was that the amateur could always come back another day but the professional had to get a useable picture there and then.

Benchista likes this.
  4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Victor who said the press photographer's mantra was "f/8 and be there!"?

5. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I really don't understand the obsession with APOY not being for Amateurs any more. Not all amateurs read AP, and not all AP readers are amateurs. Indeed 15% of AP readers class themselves as pro or semi-pro. There is an obvious difficulty in deciding where to draw the line between someone who is an amateur and a professional, because there's a huge grey area in the middle with those who earn a bit of cash on the side, but that problem also existed before. We will be checking to make sure the winners are not bona fide pro's and if one does happen to slip through the net I'm sure some of our sharp-eyed readers will point out the offenders and they will be disqualified.

jacobs_mark and Ffolrord like this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Actually Arthur Fellig (AKA Weegee). Allegedly in reply to a question about why he was so successful as a press photographer.

7. IvorCamera

Professional Amateur springs to mind............

8. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

This photocrowd thing is a nightmare, I've rated just over 2,400 pictures now - if I see Baker Street tube station or a 3 stop vignette again I will scream!

I felt like I should be community minded to go through them all, but I think I'll just give up and go take some pictures for my 12-month project!

Jimbo57 and Catriona like this.
  9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting that right Andrew. It's age, the memory cells are fading ;)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  10. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

I managed the obligatory 30 then viewed the current leaders.

Though I do agree the previous setup needed to change and this current one will generate global interest in the magazine I do wonder how much time, within a specific short period between rounss, and effort is now required by the 6 panel judges to deal with what may be quadruple the amount of entries per month received than in any other previously run APOY under the old system.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  11. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I've rated 1,000. So I can see the ratings for those now. I still haven't found any of the top ten. What is incredible is that out of the 1,000 photographs I have rated there is only one where one star is not the most popular rating. Assuming one star means not much cop, then 999 out of 1,000 photos are rated not much cop, which seems pretty mean spirited to me.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think it falls into the category of nice problem to have.

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Wise to evaluate whether the star system is one best or one worse before starting. For my own grading I used one is best until I started using Lightroom which filters on n or more so now one is worst.

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Photocrowd - more stars is better.

15. EightBitTony

I have a very fast Internet connection. My experience of rating is - click star, wait between 2 and 10 seconds for the image to change. Click another star, wait again. It's rather unbearable.

I have no problem with the change of format, I've never entered, and won't in future, so I've got no skin in that game - but the site does feel extraordinarily sluggish. I often scroll through hundreds of images on Flickr, and it's at least 5 times quicker.

16. EightBitTony

Needs a 0 star option. Made me feel a lot better about my photography though.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Well, I've just had a look at a few. Why do I get the feeling that quite a lot of folk have taken their favorite image out of a file, whacked it into photoshop and hit the 'Convert' button!

Jimbo57 and EightBitTony like this.
  18. EightBitTony

Wow, rating those entries is slightly soul destroying, got to early 100's before I had to stop.

19. IvorCamera

Many of the problems that are now occurring with photocrowd are the ones which made me decide to end my association and membership with them, I entered many of their competions it was fun at first then it became boring and tiring when voting through hundreds if not thousands of entries it just became monotonous and after a while you was just clicking on just to get to the end of the entries sometimes I spent the whole afternoon or a full evening viewing and voting on the pictures which had been entered, then I started having the reminders about other competitions which I was not interested in.........it just went on and on and on so I dropped out and got my leisure time back again. My favourit competition has always been poty, its just a shame that I will not be entering this time around, but of course I shall carry on reading AP regardless....

Roger Hicks likes this.
  20. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

I am afraid that this new format has transmogrified APOY from a photographic competition into a survey that measures nothing more than "who has the most sad, nerdish, Facebook friends and Twitter followers?"

Once the various numpty social media channels get inundated with links to "vote for me", all semblance of a measure of quality flies out of the window.

R.I.P APOY