1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip Off Apoy 2017

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by barry_scott, Apr 22, 2017.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Funny, looking back on my selection for the monochrome round I narrowed it down to 2 images.

Cheers, and I appreciate your response.

Peter

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Indeed. If my best one doesn't win, my other 5 are hardly likely to trouble the scorer!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well, the big special is 24 entries for £72. A bargain...

I was disappointed that I can't see the entries. I wonder when they will be on view? It would be great to see them all, but I seem to remember it will be the cherry-picked ones, so I suppose that hasn't changed. Such is life!

4. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I quite like the format - at least for the 'crowd' voting. You vote on as many pictures as you like. After you have voted then the picture appears with its current ranking. It's good as everything remains anonymous. If it is anonymous for the expert judge then I would regard that as an improvement too. I didn't realise that you could have mutliple scoring entries in a round, although of course that makes sense if it remains anonymous. If a very good photographer submits 24 entries then I think they could really boost their chances, which is a shame.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's not just me then? All I could find (with the help of google, can't find a link from this site) was an entry page.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

With all the negative comments on this forum about photographic competitions I'm surprised anybody wants to enter.

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  7. Catriona

Ownership? Obligation? Guilt? Interest? Curiosity?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. Catriona

Yes, that's all I see. They just never stop emailing me to pay for more entries. Yes, I did enter one - for the heck of it. No chance, I know! Wish I hadn't now.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I don't enter photographic competitions but if I did and got a good placing I'm sure I would dismiss all the negative comments. Unfortunately I am not good enough and generally prefer privacy.

Trust you are on the road to recovery.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

Thank you, yes. Getting the steri strips off tomorrow (hopefully). They are rather glued across the hole, so am a bit apprehensive. Be glad to get rid of them though. It feels like I'm wearing a very heavy pair of glasses!

11. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

The entries are not visible until the voting begins so that those who entered weeks ago don't get a head start. With the previous system no-one got to see any of the other entries - only the top 30, when the results were published in the magazine. With Photocrowd not only are all the entries visible you can vote for them yourself.
    The voting both for the crowd and the expert judging is anonymous.

Catriona, PMurrell and Roger Hicks like this.
  12. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I have tried to put my point across several times on this competition, so lets just see how many regulars dont enter! and lets see the names of the top 50, and what countries they are from. As I said there are many brilliant photographers who are members of Photocrowd and who are noted for their photography.

13. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a lot of 'professionals' will likely enter now?

Is APOY solely for the ametuer, or can anybody enter?

14. Catriona

But why would they? If they are already a professional photographer, what would they gain? Exposure? Advertising? I don't think so. The equipment? They already have what they want or need.
    No. I bet the mix is more or probably less than it always has been.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Winning APOY can't be a bad thing though, can it?

How would photocrowd apply such a rule though? Assuming professionals use the site?

16. Catriona

I don't think it would change your life overnight!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Why would they?

It's a lot of work for the off chance of earning a few days' money. Why bother?

EDIT: I read Kate's two posts after writing the above. I could not easily agree more with her.

Cheers,

R.

18. Catriona

I went in for a look. I was on the rating option, so opted out of that, thinking I could simply see the pictures. No luck! It's a different world in there. Photocrowd is definitely not for me.

I shall continue on my own sweet way. Enjoying taking the odd shot and sharing the ones I want to. My impetus now is to do another book. That will keep me busy and motivated, hopefully.

Craig20264 likes this.
  19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've had a look this morning and have rated some of the entries - including some in glorious full technicolor which I marked firmly as 'not on brief'.

The stats that the site gives shows just over 4000 entries from just over 3700 individuals - meaning that roughly 300 are paid entries.

There haven't been enough pictures rated to generate a top fifty (or whatever they do) yet, but having seen the quality of some of the ones I've rated I expect my offering to be somewhere around 400th place! Out of the pictures I rated I'd say that around 5% are completely off-brief, 55% are on brief but suffer from a variety of grievous errors (poor monochrome conversions, hideous HDR treatments, basic errors like non-horizontal seascapes etc), 30% are technically correct but the composition or subject is underwhelming and the remaining 10% are pretty good.

I'd be interested to hear what other people reckon.

Cheers, Jeff

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

But is there a way to just see the pictures without rating them?