1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of Sony Alha 7R ll

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, Aug 29, 2015.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well I could be looking to replace my aging 5D with something a bit more up-to-date with a wider dynamic range, as the last two holidays I took it on I found peaks at both ends of the histogram, clipping both. I'd also like something a bit more manageable, as I really miss the light weight and pocketability of my old Pentax MX. To that end I'm looking at both of the new A7 models. I don't need more megapixels, so the 42+ mp of the A7RII is actually a point against it.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I was critical of the initial review of this camera.
    I think that Nick Dungan's 'In The Field' article fills in the main omissions of the original review. Taking both articles together seems to give a good idea of what the camera is capable of and where it is lacking.
    So, in the end well done.
    Some may say that there was too much autobiographical information in the Nick Dungan article however I feel that this was relevant since most of us will not know who he is or his credentials for testing the camera.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Gosh, I'd forgotten about this thread :eek:. I read the article even though I have no interest in motorsport. I was then in the Brent Cross John Lewis talking at length to one of the sales team. I may actualy end up with the X-T1 instead after playing with one and looking at the chap's photos on a laptop.

The reasons being ergonomics, the X-T1 just felt *right*, and after consideration cannot justify £2600 on a camera body. A Canon 6D being too big and heavy for my needs.

As an aside the JL service should be an example to others, the salesman I spoke to was knoledgeable and spent far more time with me on a Saturday afternoon than he really had to with no pressure to buy. I think he'll get the sale.

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

FYI - Fuji is about to make an announcement this week and has a 'Countdown Clock' prominent on its website. See the Fuji threads. Could be a new Fudgie XPro2, which might be of interest to you.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Getting back to the issue of virtually all magazine reviews, I would contend that cameras and their sensors are becoming so sophisticated that the equipment needed to test is not only prohibitively expensive and complex, but would also require the testers to rip apart the camera to confirm things like signal-to-noise measurements and or how much 'leakage' occurs between pixels which they may be told about ... Can't ever see that happening! As a consequence, magazines have to rely on what manufacturers tell them or/and by trawling through scientific papers, patent applications etc.

As for Sony's 7R II, it's certainly a fine piece of kit, and the reviewers, only have a limited amount of time in which to assess a camera's capabilities, even if some magazines belong to the same publishing stable, and had the unlikely opportunity of collaborating with each other.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

See this week's AP. It isn't one of those reviews.

7. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

We don't go as far as counting the photosites individually, or the bleed between them, but we do use Image Engineering Charts and software (which has been a significant investment) to test the cameras and lenses.

The amount of data that we can capture is staggering, and is obviously a lot more than we can put in the magazine. So we break it down so that it is easy to read and understand.

But you are right. Cameras generally are all very good these days, which is why we do the longer term, or specific field tests, after the initial test, to find out more about the camera under certain conditions.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've seen the kit, it's very impressive.

Much more useful, really - as I've got older, and hopefully wiser, I've really lost interest in lab tests - how a camera performs in the field, and how easy it is to get that performance is a lot more useful to me. Of course there are still many out there (or at DPR forums, anyway) who think that if something isn't absolutely the best in lab tests, it's not worth having, but thankfully AP has always given a much broader view.