1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repair/CLA times.

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, May 11, 2017.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

What would people say is a fair time to CLA a rangefinder and repair "looks like water damage" to the rangefinder coatings?

S

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

As a very new owner of a respectable rangefinder camera, I've suddenly started seeing references to CLA - a term which by comparison is rare in DSLR & SLR photography literature. I've also done my fair share of reading the various Leica / Leitz brochures, and if my interpretation is correct, a Leica is so well made that it should never need a CLA in the lifetime of any ordinary human being!

But, I suppose if you're not happy with your camera, it will nag you every other day, so seek out a decent repair person who won't make matters worse.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Any camera will probably need a CLA after thirty or forty years. Even Leicas.

My problem is that a well-respected repairer has had the camera for what I consider an inordinate length of time. His latest comment was "it should be ready within a month". To which the reply was "Make that definitely within a month". I think he has finally got the message. If not, I'll have a drive down and pick it up in person and he can stuff any hopes of cash for basically just looking at it. After which it will go to Newton Ellis or similar.

S