1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

renting in 2018.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by retrofit, Apr 30, 2018.

1. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

He cut the grass, and that’s about it.

It was my first and worst experience of renting, as he was totally unprofessional, he was always around checking up on his tenants.

He used to finger lick the rent money as he counted it in front of us :D

2. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

If I had to go back to renting now, I would look at alternative living, probably spend some time on a house boat or canal boat.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well yours would not pass any test of statistical significance and I don't think their's would either. I think you are over-generalising, but I have no evidence other than knowing several (make that 4) who are very nice people. :)

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

That bloke Rigsby was a bit dodgy surely?

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

And who could forget Jerzei Balowski.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

True enough but one of his tenants is now the Commissioner of Police on one of the islands in the West Indies...

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

One of the other tenants did jail time in HMP Slade.

8. willie45

Yeah I noticed him on that too. Otherwise he's sort of faded from view. So has the white guy in the middle.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Strange that. They were such good friends as well.

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone who currently rents, or who has rented in the past, who's not had a bad experience. I've rented from both landlords running a business and landlords renting out their only home, and in both cases have experienced issues. Very close friends have rented for about 9 years, and have moved out of a home recently where the landlord consistently failed to resolve serious mold and damp. I could probably write pages on the problem. I suspect it's heavily influenced by the price range and location of the property.

11. willie45

Maybe I was fortunate. When I rented in London and Kent, both landlords were really great and very helpful

12. Maroon

Maroon Well-Known Member

MickLL's comments are some form of evidence, rising rent due to costs of improvements and increase in regulations.

13. Maroon

Maroon Well-Known Member

Is it fair that Landlords pass on extra costs that they incur, due to no fault of or providing any benefit to the tenant?

14. Andrew Flannigan

That gets into the greyest of areas doesn't it? Suppose the landlord renews the exterior paint: the tenant might argue that the paint is of no immediate benefit to her but the landlord might equally point out that maintaining the house to a high standard is an immediate benefit to the tenant (because it is part of weather proofing the walls) and should be reflected in the next rent review. 'Tis a puzzle. :confused:

15. Maroon

Maroon Well-Known Member

I was referring to costs to meet regulations, repair parts of the house or fix appliances. These are either requested by council/government or they are part of the landlord's responsibilities within their contract with the tenant. "Benefit" was probably a poor choice of word on my part.

16. gw8izr

gw8izr Active Member

Well as one of the resident Bas%^&$ that has a rental property and I appear to be Satans offspring for attempting to secure my future rather than waiting till the money runs out and claiming benefits I thought I'd mention that general maintenance and keeping the house at the required standard has no bearing on my rent review... in fact my rent review works like this, Is the tenant keeping the property tidy and clean, are my neighbours happy with their conduct? if yes, then the rent stays the same for the next period.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

One of my close relatives lives in a former council house in West Wales. She pays rent. The semi which has cavity walls, also benefits from double glazing, and its insulation was enhanced about 4 years ago by the application of external cladding. Despite storm conditions during the work and scaffold timbers taking to the air, the finished work appears to have been well done, and I'm envious - envious that is of the substantially better insulation than I've got in my detached house.

18. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Generally the cost of property repairs and replacement items, gas safety checks etc are not passed on to the tenants as they should be covered out of the rent, landlords being responsible for exteriors and tenant for internal decoration. The majority of landlords don’t supply appliances.
    Unfortunately since the buy to rent boom there are many new landlords who simply haven’t realised the incidentals of owning a rental property and simply assume that if the get 900 a month rent and pay 450 mortgage then they have 450 a month profit therefore make no provisions for ongoing maintenance.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

At one time in my old house I would have totally agreed with you! Now I'm in town and living in a well insulated house which requires heating on only at certain times. Much more economical than my old house!
    One thing I will say though is that there are also Housing Association tenants on the estate where I now live. I often feel rather envious of them as the HA is extremely good and updates are always happening around me! I'm glad really that the properties are not run down and admire the HA for being so good. Had there been properties for the aged around and run by them, I would have begged to go on the list!! As it is, I bought this one and hope to end my days here.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Not all HA's are the paragons of virtue that Catriona is aware of; sometimes the other tenants in the same property, can be decidedly 'dubious' individuals. Quite a lot of HA's have HA tenant management committees, though it has to be said that some HA's go out of their way to prevent these being formed. There are also HA Co-operatives, where the existing tenants actually 'vet' or have a substantial say in who is selected to be a tenant.

Sometimes, (as happened in one of these Co-Op HA's near me) some of these tenants happened to be drug addicts and knew drug dealers and members of London's gang-land whom they then managed to get places for - This resulted in innumerable drug raids and in one instance during a raid, within one tenant's property, was discovered an UZI, which then turned out to have been used 40 miles away in London ... Eventually, all the tenants were kicked out, the Constitution of the HA was re-written and other 'administrative' safeguards were put in place, resulting in this HA property being one of the best around my area.