1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing a Manfrotto Tripod Head?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by pptdgc, May 7, 2012.

1. pptdgc

pptdgc Active Member

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod with a 808RC4 head which I cant seem to remove. I want to put a video head on there.

I've removed the 3 screws underneath but I just keep twisting it and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

sounds like it :D. On my 055 there was a single grub screw locking the head. It is in the UK and I am not so cannot look to see if there are more screws. I know it took me a while to figure out that there was a grub screw. Three sounds too many so you must be undoing something else.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Did you remember to lock the head in position (prevent panning)? If not, ,you will twist forever

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

You do need to unscrew the three underneath. They are designed to stop it turning as you will have surmised. I don't know anything about this grub screw mullarkey though.

If you're still stuck, phone the UK distributors for advice :
    01293 583-300

They are quite helpful.

Willie

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Maybe I got the word wrong. I understand a grub screw to be a (generally small) screw that serves to lock a rotating part. On all, well both, my tripods the head screws on to the centre column. Only the plate on the manfrotto column is drilled to take a locking screw to stop the head working loose as it can do. I will try to remember to look at it this weekend. I only remember one screw, maybe there will prove to be three in which case the earlier post might have it right -the head will rotate freely unless the pan function is locked down so hope nothing there has broken.

6. pptdgc

pptdgc Active Member

Thanks all. I managed to get it off. I had to spread the legs out on the tripod, hold it in place with my legs and then use lots of force to twist it off. I think it must have been screwed on a bit too tight.