1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember, remember...

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by SXH, Nov 5, 2017.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I made a conscious decision yesterday that I was just going to stand and watch the fireworks and not try to take any pictures. Sometimes it's too easy to live your life behind the camera. It was rather nice to simply take it all in and enjoy the moment. (And just as well because my tripod is at work so I'd have been annoyed anyway!)

King Kenny, EightBitTony and peterba like this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

More interesting than the standard [sorry] fireworks pictures.

S

peterba likes this.
  4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever tried. I had a bad experience with two rolls of film in the then, Yugoslavia. I shot the whole two rolls trying to capture the most dynamic and scary lightning display I'd ever seen. The two rolls were duly processed by Boots on my arrival home. Yep, you guessed it......Nowt, Nada, Niente, Nothing, Zilch!
    I figure fireworks are just as difficult!

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Last year I was unwell and didn't really feel up to going out so I watched from our living room window and decided to not try and hide the fact that they were shot indoors. I have a couple that I quite like but the fact is, spectacular as the fireworks shows often are, photographs of fireworks generally don't do much for me at all - it's often the background theyr'e illuminating that's the interesting bit.

16-11-05-helensburgh-005.jpg

peterba, SXH and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine were taken from indoors too.

I might try again tonight, but probably won't - depends on the weather.

7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I do like watching fireworks, we get quite a good view from the top floor of this black of flats, however being kept awake by the numpties still letting them off well after midnight is not welcome.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yep. Especially when the firework season stretches from early November to New Years Day!

Guy Fawkes night, birthdays (I assume), Christmas, New Year's Eve. Does get a bit wearing.

peterba likes this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

We just found some sparklers bought for last year when i was ill and consequently unused so we've nipped down to the water and stood like loons waving sparklers around on our own. Don't care Twas fun!

SXH likes this.
  10. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I am a bit surprised by some of the posts on here...when I want to take pictures of fireworks exploding in the sky all I do is up the ISO to 1600 or 3200 set the aperture to 5.6 or f8, set the distance on infinity and fire away then in a editing programme get rid of any unwanted noise and that's it, I often use the same technique when inside a darkish Cathedral except I manual focus then...

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The only fireworks I can decent photos of are the ones that land in our garden:eek:

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The let you set off fireworks in cathedrals? :eek:

Makes a change from candles and incense, I suppose... ;)

13. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

:):):)