1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reflections

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Pastor Joe, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Pastor Joe

Pastor Joe Member

OK...I really pretty new to this. I already have lots of hobbies and interests, my main one being bicycle touring. I was thinking that learning to take better photographs would enable me to share my adventures. So, a couple of weeks ago I "took back" the Nikon D3000 we bought for our daughter some 10+ years ago, since she wasn't using it, and have been trying to figure out what I'm doing.

Earlier this week my wife and I got away for a conference in the mountains of North Carolina. While on a break one afternoon we visited Montreat, one of the national Conference Centers of the denomination of which I am a pastor. I took a fair number of pictures but found that I only liked about three...and this one is by far my favorite.

Thought I would break into the sharing my photos world with this one. In the short time I've been on this site I've appreciated what I have seen and have learned a thing or two as well. Thanks!

https://flic.kr/p/2hh59Wc

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Hi, so it's not always obvious, but the Exhibition Lounge has a set of guidelines which means people shouldn't critique the images. It's more for posting interesting stuff where people can talk about the subject of the image, but not provide advice on improvements, etc.

So you might want to repost in the Appraisal Gallery.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/forums/appraisal-gallery.34/

Also, if you do post there, you can include the image without having people click on a link, by following the Flickr instructions in this post - http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/how-to-post-images-updated.133860/

3. EightBitTony

And welcome aboard ;)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome. If you go to Flickr click on share and select the BBC (bulletin biard code) for size 800 pixel max and paste the code here the picture should appear

[​IMG]Lake Susan by Joseph Washburn, on Flickr

You get better display quality if you size the picture to 800 pixel max side before posting to flickr then post code for the original. Flickr can do some horrid things when resizing.

Nice pictures!

5. Pastor Joe

Pastor Joe Member

Guess I was just wanting to "break the ice" by posting a photo...wasn't really looking for critique. Not sure I'm ready for that. (Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for that!) Being new to photography, sharing photos is a little intimidating for me. But, I didn't want to just lurk, so this is just my first step in. If I implied otherwise I apologize. (I was trying to post right before bed, so who knows what I wrote...)

6. Pastor Joe

Pastor Joe Member

Thanks for the info. I tried to post directly to the forum, but I couldn't get it to work. Your post helped me see what I was doing wrong. Not sure if I should go back and change it or just learn and do it "correctly" next time.

Thanks for the helpful info!

7. EightBitTony

Then my apologies :) I misunderstood your post! No need for you to apologise.

Pastor Joe likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it, you're not the first or last to not read the posting instructions! As I said, nice pictures. I look forward to seeing more!

Pastor Joe and EightBitTony like this.