1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Kites - Oxford

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by OneTen, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

That's a Kestrel. Definitely.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I should really look at my bird books before commenting.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'm with Dave on this one - a kestrel, it's the dead spit of "Vole patrol" on our allotments. Sparrowhawks have stripier pyjamas.

Red Kite are much, much bigger - my Collins suggests approximately double the length from beak to tail, with a corresponding increase in bulk, and you will know when you really do spot one, they are very distinctive. Unlike Buzzards, which have a range of colour from almost cream to almost black, they vary very little.

On the other hand, you've got much closer than I've ever got to one with a camera!

Adrian

5. poldie

poldie Active Member

I've checked and Kestrels aren't especially rare even in Hampstead Heath. I was fairly close - I saw it land on the branch and walked around to take a look at its face, hoping it wouldn't fly off. It was as if it was deliberately facing away from me as I walk around the tree behind it, but luckily it sat their patiently when I eventually circled the tree and ended up in front of it. It wasn't too far up. It wasn't very large, and I was using my 55-250 at pretty much full zoom.

Thanks for the ID!

6. Substandard_Nerd

Substandard_Nerd Active Member

They're magnificent creatures. The sky's thick with them here in Didcot although I've never managed to get a photo.