1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording macro videos

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Piotr Michna, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Piotr Michna

Piotr Michna Member

Hi guys,
    First of all I would like to say Hi as this is my very first post on this forum.
    I am fly tier Trying to record myself tying fishing fly by camera.
    As you might dont know what the fly tying is I am sending a link to one of the YT Videos.
    I would like to make It this style with my own fly patterns.
    I have visited camera shop already and have some advice but the cameras They have ofered me are to expensive for me at the moment. I am looking for something budget which will allow me to record quality macro video.
    The camera I am looking for does not need to blear the background as long as It keep the fly hook share and focuse on that post.

Please have a look on the video below and give me some advice and possible cameras to consider.

Thank you.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I would guess some kind of compact with manual focus and a wideangle lens. The problem when you are up close is that depth of field is shallow. A short focal length gives bigger depth of field and compact cameras with their small sensors have very short focal length lenses. You want the camera to be always focussed on the fly so no autofocus while shooting and probably constant exposure too.

3. Piotr Michna

Piotr Michna Member

Hi Rob,
    Thank for your advice. Any brand/model I could be looking at?
    Do not have much knwolege about It to be honest.
    I am more in to fly tying than recording It but as people whants to learn I would like to show that nicely..

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sorry, not a clue. I have very little experience of compacts and I have never used video. All I know is that manual control over focus is not common. What did the shop recommend?

5. Piotr Michna

Piotr Michna Member

Cool, maybe somebody else has some ideas.
    Thanks Anyway. Shop recomended some of the latest Sony products. Mainly compacts and camcorder.
    Nice cameras but all over £600 pounds..

6. Piotr Michna

Piotr Michna Member

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I like the Sony Handycams, and the manual focus and exposure will be useful. You just need to keep in mind that the camera will pretty much have everything it can see in focus. You say you don't need to blur the background, but it means it'll be hard to pick the fly out from everything else in the image.

Maybe see if you can try the camera out first somewhere to get an idea if that'll be okay.

8. Piotr Michna

Piotr Michna Member

Thanks Tony.
    In the mean time I found an idea about SLRs.
    My friend who used to be photographs recomended my that.
    And I will,be able to use It for quality shots as well.
    Any ideas about the SLR guys?

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Piotra, I suspect that you know more about this than most of us. Please show your results when you are more or less happy with them. Most of us are still photogaphers but still enjoy a well crafted challenging video.

10. Piotr Michna

Piotr Michna Member

11. Piotr Michna

Piotr Michna Member

Well, regarding my "black" background video quality is not that bad.

Happy to get that camera (nikon coolpix s9900) in a good money.