1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Record' Shots

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Jacqui Jay, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I personally have no desire or inclination to do anything with/for RPS, but I will be following this thread as it sounds like it is going to be a real labour of love. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results, and I love the presentation idea. Good luck! :cool:

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: 'Record' Shots -- in my estimation would equal a ...

... passport photo as opposed to a portrait, albeit an environmental or
    commercial type :)

So if ya see any birds lining up at the passport office ...take a
    picture of them cause, IMVHO, that would be an interesting environmental portrait :D

Cheers and all the best in getting your F :)

Jack

3. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Mick, I have now had time to read my way through the Distinctions Handbook. One thing that strikes me is that the criteria for books change between L and A, so there may be further changes between them and F. But as the book information is not recorded in the F section, there is no way of knowing. :D

Is this how you read it?

I am going to send an email to Ben, laying out my concerns as concisely as possible so I have something in writing. As I am in the very early stages of this project, it is best to get all this pinned down now, I guess.

4. Jacqui Jay

Zou and Jack, thank you very much for the good wishes, I'll try not to let the side down. :(

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Yes Jacqui, that's exactly the way I read it.

There's also the very vital discrepancy between what Ben and the book say about the picture sizes. I really cannot believe that it's possible to get any award with 40 thumbnails!!

Please let us know what happens. It's a subject in which I'm extremely interested.

MickLL

6. Jacqui Jay

Copy of an email sent to Ben at RPS this am

Good morning, Ben.

Subsequent to our conversation yesterday, I was reading the Distinctions Handbook and found the following information under the Associateship Section.

• A book may be either published with an ISBN number, or an artist’s book.
    • If you are submitting an application in the form of a book you should submit at least 2 copies.
    • It must contain a minimum of 30 significant images for Associateship (40 for Fellowship).
    • The size of every significant image should be at least 75% of the page size.
    • All the significant images must be of the required standard

I interpret that to mean that all of my 40 images should be at least 75% of the page area.
    In our conversation, though, you intimated that some of the photographs would be acceptable as long as they were bigger than a thumbnail – is this something that pertains only to the Fellowship submission?

Under the Licentiateship section, I also found

• The book can be hard or soft back; minimum size should be 8” x 10” and maximum 11” x 13”

which is not repeated in either the Associateship or Fellowship sections.
    Do these sizes apply to the Fellowship submission?
    Can my book be any measurement that falls within these parameters? (e.g. 13" wide x 8" deep)

I'm sorry if this is time consuming for you, but I am keen to get all my ducks in a row before I commence work on the project.

Best wishes
    Jacqui Grafton ARPS

7. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I'm not in a position to offer any advice but I will wish you the best of luck. I really look forward to hearing of your progress and seeing some of the completed work. Good luck. :D

8. Jacqui Jay

Answer to my email

From Andy Moore, Distinctions Manager, to whom Ben forwarded my email:

"You need to have a minimum of 40 images that are least 75% of the page area, all other images over the 40 will be judged at Fellowship level except thumbnails.

At the ARPS and FRPS we have not stated a size as we do not want to stop applicants submitting any size book, at the LRPS level we wanted to state a size because this option of submitting a book for the LRPS is new and we want to ensure we get a certain size to review, this does not apply for the ARPS and FRPS.

At Fellowship your book size is down to you, it has to be fit for purpose."

I'm so glad you persevered with the questions, Mick, as I would have been working on the wrong premise. I do think the information should be more clearly set out in the Distinctions Handbook.

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Re: Answer to my email

Glad that you have an answer Jacqui. It does seem odd that the handbook isn't too clear.

I have the means of asking the question again , using someone who is directly involved. Without mentioning you or this thread I'll ask and let you know ONLY if I get a different answer.

MickLL

10. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

i can join that club :D
    all the best Jacqui

a very intersting thread, glad between the informed parties questions have been answered

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Seconded. Think we all hope to see this progress and pop up in the Exhibition Lounge one day.

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Have to say, I'm tempted to work up through the awrds, if only for the focus a project can give you.

I do have many other projects on the grid at the moment, so would have to get those done first before anything else.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Barney that's precisely it from my POV. I have no desire to climb mountains just because they're there. But if you get fitter in the process of doing so....which I believe in this case you do....
    Could your projects be the basis of something for distinctions perhaps?

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

No Mick, the other projects aren't related to actually taking photographs, mores the pity. Some are photgraphy related, but others are more getting my sh ... I mean act together.

15. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Me Mick - Him Mike. ;)

I have to say that I've been working towards an F in a very desultory fashion. I've taken so long that standards have risen noticeably since I began. However this thread has rekindled my interest so, Jacqui, may see you in Bath in a year or two. :D

MickLL

16. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Oops! :eek: In my defence I did say I had to get my act together! :D

[/QUOTE]