1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Record' Shots

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Jacqui Jay, Nov 16, 2010.

1. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I've found the Blurb books fine from a quality perspective, but the templates very restrictive. I have recently discovered however that they allow you to download pdf templates so that you can use what ever free from layout you like. I assume Jacqui is competent at drafting up a layout from what she has said, so they might well be worth another look.

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I think that there's something here that we don't understand. Jacqui still hasn't confirmed the category that she's applying for.

Let's assume that it's Natural History. Having (quickly) read the 'bible' there seems to be an option to produce 20 prints or slides or 40 if in a book. (There must be something about digital but I must have missed it).

I can't imagine that the panel relaxes its standards according to the means of presentation. Producing 20 'F snaps' is very hard so why on earth would anyone go for an option that needs 40? As I said there seems to be something that we don't quite understand. Let's hope that Jacqui can clarify.

MickLL

3. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I intend to enter in the Natural history category.

4. Jacqui Jay

To answer the last few messages, I want to do a book because that is what I am good at (sorry if immodest) having spent a large part of my working life designing, art working and printing art catalogues. I don't want to use Blurb (or any other similar system) because my vision is of a litho-printed book where I have complete control over everything - paper, size, pagination, lay out etc. I know it means more work and more photographs but it is probably the last challenge I will ever undertake as I know I am slowing down a bit (but not much!) and I have allocated just over two years to it, so I will eiher succeed or really enjoy trying. (although I would really like to climb Everest, Mike!)

Again, I am overwhelmed at the response from you guys. Thank you once more.

5. Jacqui Jay

I have just become an enthusiast ... hurray!

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Then why would you put yourself through getting 40 pictures in a book as opposed to 20 by other means? Getting 20 of the right standard is very hard indeed 40 has to be nigh on impossible. ;);)

MickLL

Sorry = posts crossed.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Slowing down could be just the thing. When I ran up against a brick wall two years in, I went back to my old OM1n to slow everything down and I stopped covering ten square miles in a day and just sat and watched.
    I seriously wouldn't put a mental deadline on it. I did to start with and then found I was force-fitting things, contriving things and compromising, not to mention relying on the same formula too often, which ultimately added another year to it and a few thousand in cost.
    Sounds like you have good reasons for your book, but interesting to know whether all have to be feature shots, or you can use space fillers that are not quite strong enough to feature?

8. RovingMike

Is that how you can do front pages with display headlines instead of weedy little ones? I keep asking them, but they don't answer. This is just totally insipid. Zanzibar

9. Jacqui Jay

This is a question I will be asking. It had occurred to me that, in a book of this kind, there would nearly always be some 'filler' photographs.

I had a look at your Zanzbar book, I envy you the opportunity to produce all those beautiful photographs. As for the type on the front cover, if you have any more printed, you might find that just moving the title down closer to your name gives a better balance.

10. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Mike,
    Can you explain what you mean please. I have only done two blurb books and, so far at least, have found no restrictions. I've been able to start with blank pages (no inbuilt template), put text and picture boxes wherever I chose and have had a huge range of fonts and font sizes to choose from.

Of course it may be that, as a beginner, I don't have enough imagination to be pushing the Blurb boundary. I'd be interested in understanding your (and Jacqui's) point.

MickLL

11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Jacqui,

I've just been reading the distinctions manual again and I'm puzzled. You are going to need some further research.

Presentation in book form is mentioned for 'F' (in genral) and the requirement is for 40 'significant images' (and there's a sort of definition of what a significant image is). It seem that there can be more than 40 images and the number over and above 40 can be 'fillers'. The central requirement though is 40 images at 'F' standard.

Where I'm puzzled is that when you read the requirements that are specific to the Natural History category all references to a book disappear.

Quite why you need 20 prints but 40 pages is beyond me. If you discover more I'd be very happy if you told us.

MickLL

12. RovingMike

Mick my point is on the front covers. All I could do was a weedy little single line of type, but I see books all over from them with huge type, letters filled with pictures etc. Can't see how to get templates to do that.

13. RovingMike

Mick I downloaded it but only the index page would open. Did I miss something?

14. RovingMike

I think roughly twice as many living people have climbed Everest. But at pushing 70 I think I know which I'd choose. ;)

15. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I suspect for those they have taken the template, done the design in something like Adobe InDesign, and printed that rather than using the stock Blurb templates.

16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I don't use a template I do what Blurb calls 'wing it'. What that means is that you start with a blank piece of 'paper' and add picture and text boxes as required. You can make the boxes as big or small as you wish and then lay out the text with no restrictions - just like 'word'. I can get up to 80 point with no problem. Bigger than that and I might struggle!

MickLL

17. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Navigate to the section you want (from the contents page) and then press the keyboard right arrow in order to turn the pages.

MickLL

18. RovingMike

Thanks. :cool:

19. Jacqui Jay

Just had a word with Ben at RPS – books acceptable in any category and any photograph that is bigger than a thumbnail counts as part of the forty required. I think what I'll do is mock-up a two page spread showing a full bleed on the righthand page and perhaps three smaller pictures on the left hand page and include it on the CD I am about to send him with some sample photographs. That way, I'll be absolutely sure we're singing from the same hymn sheet.

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Jacqui that's NOT what the 'bible' says.

Here are some relevant quotes:

"It must contain a minimum of 30 significant images for Associateship (40 for Fellowship)." From section c5.4 the key word is 'significant and I'm just off to find the definition of that.

It was the next sentence. Here it is:

"The size of every significant image should be at least 75% of the page size."

If that's true then you will need some small pages to make a thumbnail 'sigificant'.;)

Then the sentence after that:

"All the significant images must be of the required standard"

Again it's confirming that you need 40 'significant images of the required standard.

There are also limitations as to the page size along the lines of bigger than XXX but smaller than YYY. I'm not going to look those up but I strongly recommend that you download and study the 'bible' (Distinctions Handbook, Issue 4, September 2010. You can then work out for yourself what's required and at least be in a position to question Ben when he makes statements at variance with the book.

I would ask Ben to give you chapter and verse, together with references, before you spend much time following his opinions. Of course it's possible that the 'bible' may be out of date and that Ben knows something different. if that's the case then someone (and I don't mind being the one to do it) needs to make the RPS bring its website up to date.

MickLL