1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me an alternative to the Canon 24-105mm.

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by andy8442, Aug 12, 2017.

1. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Is there a good quality alternative to the good old 24-105mm L Canon lens. I want something of that quality and range but wondered is there something else out there as good.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

No idea but if you find something, let me know. I'm on my second 24-105 and this version is not nearly as good as the one that broke. I seem to spend far too much time correcting for quite hideous distortion.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Sigma do an f4, 24-105mm in their ART range. No idea what it's like though. I'm guessing your using full frame, but just in case you aren't the EF-S 15-85mm and 18-135mm are both highly regarded if you are using an aps-c body.

4. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Would a 24-70 not be any use ? Better quality just not the reach. Available in F2.8 or F8

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Or even f4.... ;)

Gezza likes this.
  6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Oops.....

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

£165 cash back on the 24-70 f4 at present, although not what you want.

Second hand Canon 24-105L? Came out best when I did my research 2 years ago.

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Canon 24-105 f/4L mkii ? :)

9. andy8442

andy8442 Active Member

Funnily enough my whole reason asking the question was I read and heard from a number of sources that the mk2 wasn't as good as the mk1 , and therefore if looking for a secondhand one you had to be very careful as there are lots of very old, and not well looked after Ienses about.

10. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

There are also a lot of old and well looked after Ines as well....

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think the review opinion was that it wasn't really worth swapping an original for a mark ii optically speaking but Canon IS has got a lot better. My original is 10 years old now so, yes, there are some lenses about that have had a lot of use.

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Years ago when I was in the market for an EF 24-105L I tried one in our local Jessops, and decided that for me, it was too large as a daily use lens. Instead, I found the lens reviewed by Ken Rockwell in the link below. (I have wider fixed lenses in my collection.)
    http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/28-105mm.htm
    Possibly worth a look, as good samples aren't that expensive.

13. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Or alternatively, the 24-85 USM F3.5-4.5, if the 24mm is a priority. Good quality lens, but you'll only find a used one these days and be aware that it comes in both black and silver versions, if visual matching with your camera is a concern.