1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomend me a cheap smartphone.

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Ruskin, Jul 19, 2014.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Try
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2875408.htm
    SIM-free so you can just put your existing SIM inside if you wish.
    (The phone is "unlocked" and not tied to any network).

Without wishing to give too lengthy an explanation, smartphones seem to come with 2 sizes of memory... just enough (around half a gig) or around 4 gig.
    Some come with Android 2.something and some with 4.something.
    This phone (in link above) seems to offer a very good compromise at a reasonable price. If you wish to pay a bit more, go ahead and get the Sony Experia that you mentioned which should do an equally good job, but make sure it is either unlocked or else locked to the network of the phone company that you currently use.

Hope I am not too late to help.

2. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

If you want something really cheap Doogee appears to be good value at £50-£80 range. We have two, myself a DG800 which has a small screen albeit a 13mp camera and my wife has a DG310 which has a 5" screen and 5mp camera. Both run android 4.4 and have fast quad processors with 8mb memory 1gb ram. The only problem so far has been battery life on the DG800 is about a day of heavy use. The DG310 battery lasts a few days.

Anyway loads of cheap Chinese high spec phones on ebay. ZTE make some cheap interesting high end phones typically ZTE Blade Vec as does Doogee. Typical Spec: DOOGEE DAGGER DG550 5.5 inch IPS OGS 1.7GHz MTK6592 Octa Core 16GB Smartphone which from memory can be purchased as cheap as £100. Thinking about selling my DG800 on ebay and replacing witha a DG550 but waiting for Android 5 versions.

The biggest problem with buying a sim free phone is setting up data access. You have to type in a few things to set this working. With some networks I think they send you an installation message with setup file attached? With Giffgaff we used this guide:
    https://giffgaff.com/support/calls-and-internet/internet-and-data

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015