1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomend me a cheap smartphone.

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Ruskin, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

I don't use social media or spend a lot of time texting on the phone which is why I only have a cheap basic mobile but I want to use a DoF app, so I need a smartphone, I'm a bit of a geek with PC's and build my own but I know next to nothing about phones.
    I have no preference for brand or operating system I just need a basic pay as you go smartphone, a quick look in the local tesco and the cheapest is a sony or LG around £65, is there anything cheaper that's worth buying or is that the entry level price?
    Any advice appreciated.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Maybe worth checking app compatibility with the phones you've seen. On the other hand, DoF is hardly rocket science and isn't worth buying a phone over. Just learn the basics, surely? Unless we're talking view cameras with complex movements perhaps...

3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I can't say I know much about phones but it looks like Galaxy Trend Plus from Samsung is a popular choice in the cheap smart phone department. They are going for around 90€ over here, thats around £60-70. Might be worth a look.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

In fact it's barely science at all: it's as least as much art. What science there is tends to be based on extremely disputable assumptions. I REALLY wouldn't trust ANYONE who purported to give hard numbers. My advice for the OP would be to take lots of pics and see what works for you.

Cheers,

R.

5. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies and for sure the best way is hands on and see what works, but I've been using an online DoF calculator and found it very useful as a guideline as I often get unreliable results from focusing approx one third into the scene to allow for front and back DoF, also my cameras screen is not HD enough to really show the DoF accurately and my D5200 does not have a DoF preview button.

I should have clarified that I want a new phone and nowadays a cheap smartphone doesn't cost that much more than the £30 I paid for my basic mobile a while ago, (sony or LG around £65) I don't need the latest, fastest, biggest screen model and thought it would useful to have a DoF app, frankly, if it helps me learn and retain the info, then I'll use it ;)

A quick check shows that most of the DoF apps are on Android so I'm looking for a phone running that OS.

6. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

So I shouldn't believe a word that's written in AP?

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Generalisations are just that, and won't always apply. That "focus 1/3 into the scene" thing is a prime example.

I'm amazed your mid-range Nikon doesn't have DoF preview, but with a tiny dark viewfinder it may not be that useful I suppose. Is it inconvenient to chimp to check DoF?

8. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Agreed, so why not also use another method such as a DoF calculator, I've seen a few pro photographers use them in their videos and as far as I'm concerned the more info I have before I take the shot the better, some people seem to have the attitude that the only way to learn anything about photography is to struggle along and rediscover it all for yourself.

Sure nothing is set in stone and there is certainly no substitute for experience but with all the info available on photography it would seem pretty stupid to ignore it and if that's the case what the hell are we all doing here on a photography forum and why are so many photography magazines, books and videos sold on the subject :rolleyes:

Checking the DoF on screen is alright for close shots with a short DoF but it's just how far the DoF has gone into the background with deeper DoF that is sometimes the problem and if you zoom in all the way when reviewing the image it's often interpolated and appears soft and makes sharpness hard to judge, that's why I want to use a DoF calculator to know what the Hyperfocal distance is and have a better chance of getting the DoF I want, it's very annoying when later you check your shots on a PC monitor and find they are not in focus as you wanted :mad:

9. Roger Hicks

Well, I've checked recent copies of AP, and they do not appear to be exclusively about depth of field. A good general rule is this: THINK before believing anything.

Consider also the basic assumptions. "Depth of field" means "acceptably sharp". Acceptable to whom? And at what enlargement size and viewing distance? As Zou says, "Generalisations are just that, and won't always apply."

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  10. Olderbutnotwiser

Olderbutnotwiser Well-Known Member

Any particular DoF app in mind?

There appear to be several....

Also, if you look on Amazon for less fashionable brands of android phone (eg not Samsung, HTC or Sony) and not the latest model, they can be had relatively cheaply.

11. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Recent copies of AP are of course not exclusively about depth of field but by your reckoning you would have to apply the same general rule to everything in the mag, why would you apply that thinking only to DoF?

So buy AP or any other photography mag, read it and then you might as well disregard it all because you can't be sure any of it is worth the paper it's printed on, pointless buying it in the first place!

12. Roger Hicks

If you can't think critically, or can't distinguish between different kinds of questions or products, then indeed, there is little point in buying anything.

We like to think that most AP readers are rather cleverer than this. And I think we're probably right.

The Buddha himself advised people to test everything his said as a goldsmith tests refined gold, and if it did not meet their requirements, to set it aside (note: not to discard it, as you may understand it later). This is the path that I (and others) try to follow in AP.

Cheers,

R.

13. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Why did you even post on my thread, it's off topic and you have not added anything useful regarding my request for advice with a phone, all you have done is criticise the usefulness of a DoF app and the people that use them, many people find these apps useful, if you 'REALLY wouldn't trust ANYONE who purported to give hard numbers', then feel free not to use such apps but your opinion of them is off topic for this thread and of no interest to me and neither is anything that 'The Buddha' had to say, I'm really not interested on your opinions of life and everything, if you have nothing to offer regarding my original post then don't bother posting in it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nah, mate! Gotta use Polaroid for that. ;)

15. Roger Hicks

Hardly off topic, as I was trying to save you some money.

"Acceptable" depth of field is always a matter of opinion. Acceptable to whom? At what enlargement size? From what viewing distance? A moment's thought on any of these questions will reveal why it's a matter of opinion and why hard numbers are substantially worthless. But if you'd rather be told what to do by a mobile phone app, rather than think, well, the best of luck to you.

Cheers,

R.

16. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Again, It is off topic, I didn't ask for a discussion on DoF and what's acceptable to whom and you keep ignoring what I said that using a DoF app is a tool to be used as a guideline, just like the distance markings on lenses, so stop insulting me by saying that I'm incapable of thinking for myself just because I use a DoF calculator and after some of the things I've been through in my life I certainly need any life lessons or luck from you.

17. Roger Hicks

If you are determined to be insulted there is little anyone can do to help you. Given just how vague DoF guidelines are, I find it hard to see what a 'phone app can do that a piece of paper can't. You consider this "off topic". Well, tough. You aren't the only person reading these replies, and if I can save someone else from a belief in false precision, I'll be happy enough, even if I can't persuade you.

This is a basic principle of internet forums. Lots of people garner lots of information from answers to questions posed by other people. If you don't want others' opinions; if you consider yourself the sole arbiter of what should and shouldn't be in a forum; well, start your own forum.

Cheers,

R.

18. Ruskin

Ruskin Well-Known Member

Wow, now your really talking rubbish, you admit that a piece of paper, and by that I assume you mean a DoF chart is quite acceptable and useful but transfer that info to a software app and it's not to be trusted, just how the hell did you work that out, the media used to read the data is totally irrelevant!

If you can't accept that some modern tech like A DoF app can be of use to some people that's your problem, frankly, your often jaded, bitter and blinkered opinions are pointless as the world is taking more pictures than it ever has and no one gives a toss about your opinions or what you think of those pictures, yes, you find Flickr pointless, we know, thankfully there are far more people, photography magazines and websites that are far more broadminded than you.

I've been advised by some others here via PM's, to add you to my ignore list as they have already done, clearly I'm not alone in having read enough of your self important, rambling, monologues, so post away, knock yourself out, I will no longer see any of your sarcastic posts, Isn't modern technology wonderful!
    Get over yourself mate :rolleyes:

19. Roger Hicks

Aren't you a cheery, happy fellow? As I say, I was trying to save you money. It's a pity you have a problem with that.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  20. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I wouldn't sweat it, Roger.

"There's nane sae deef as they who willnay hear", as an uncle of mine used to say, usually about me. :D