1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

:eek: I reckon if he'd been carrying this lot around with him today, he might have had his 'collar felt' ... ;) :D

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My current RTBC is that when I investigated my loo for poor flushing (expecting that it would need a new syphon and all that entails), I found that hard water deposits on the float were interfering with its action, and clearing these, and slightly straightening the float arm seem to have done the trick, and it's working OK.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I don't have a RTBC today. On the way to work my car broke down as the brakes on the front wheel seized. Car recovered to a garage that I normally use. Told that it is probably the pistons which is quite common on old BMW's and I will probably need other brake parts and will cost a couple hundred (not using a BMW dealer). Add to that I have lost a days pay.

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Is this the little BMW that you use for your mobile hairdressing business?

Cheers, Jeff

5. dream_police

The very one. I remembered to remove my hairdryer from the boot before leaving it at the garage.

spinno and Fishboy like this.
  6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

witch.jpg

7. dream_police

Ouch. Just had the quote from the garage. A bit more than a couple of hundred. Grrr

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

One of our neighbours has a BMW sports car but drives a Merc as his "work car". How the other half live! :confused: :D

peterba and Catriona like this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Bummer - or beamer? Still at least you are OK and cars can be fixed, although painfully expensive these days.

I remember my brake master cylinder failing. Every time I went to the garage, they fiddled with the brakes but said all is OK now. The last time I lost my brakes altogether was going up to the 8th floor of the carpark at work! Foot to the floor and no brakes. Parked it OK. Called the AA They came and took it down the spiral very slowly! I ditched the car after this (scrapped it) and relied on hubby's car!

10. dream_police

The problem with mine is that it is of the age I guess that things start going wrong. It is 11 years old. It doesn’t get used that often which doesn’t help with some things and as soon as I went into the garage they knew what to expect as it was a known problem on older BMWs.

It needs new callipers, pads, discs and fluid, plus labour of course. Just over £500. I don’t have the skill, the tools, or indeed a place suitable to carry out the work so therefore fixing myself is not an option. I dread to think how much BMW would charge.

Catriona likes this.
  11. dream_police

In fact like many of us on here!

12. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Synonym??????????

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I think any car I drive the dogs around in is likely to be prone to sticky callipers....on the rare occasions I'm in the car and not got the dogs I try to find opportunities to jump on the brakes a lot harder than usual to get the sliders and piston moving as much as I can.

The good old Italian tune up still has it's place.;)

SqueamishOssifrage and Catriona like this.
  14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If that is all four wheels that is cheap.

My final visit to the main dealer occurred when, at annual service + MoT, they said the rear disks needed replacing (at 40,000 miles) and it would be £400. I frankly disbelieved it and they dropped the price to £300 on the spot. Whoever heard of negotiable pricing for a standard job?. I reckoned parts £200 and labour £70, so still a bit high. I was only using the main dealer because I had finally managed to buy an almost new (pre-registered, 50 miles) car from them. I've used another garage for 30 years so I'm back with them for the "new" as well as the "old" car my wife uses. Be interesting to see if the front disks need changing this next service. At 65,000 I'd expect it. I might have believed front disks at 40,000 but back ones! I was a bit surprised that we got through the MoT on the old car (will be 22 this year) without disks being an issue - it only does about 2k a year and last year an advisory was that the disks were getting pitted, which happens if the brakes not used enough.

15. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

It is important to replace the brake fluid in the system periodically as it absorbs moisture and deteriorates.

16. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

The same happened to me and my wagon. It had to have new rear discs around the 50,000 mile mark. The fronts are still the originals and the car is almost 12 years old and clocked up 100,000 last week

17. dream_police

It was just the front. Only one is buggered though but they recommended replacing both sides to even up the braking.
    My Evoque needed pads all round and 2 discs. LRJ quoted me just short of £800 when it was in for a service. I had it all done for just over half that at a local independent Land Rover garage.

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Every two years

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well it's 29th March, and we're NOT leaving the EU today. Heaven only knows what happens next, but for now...

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Happy happy talk...