1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

In McDs again for breakfast before work. I have been served by that woman with the uppy downy oscillating false telephone voice again. She’s driving me mad listening her talk to people. That is not a RTBC. What is a RTBC cheerful though is I am not married to her!

Catriona likes this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Put a bell on their collars. May help reduce the number of beasties they snaffle.

If a normal bell doesn't work, put a really heavy bell on their collar:D

Zou and Catriona like this.
  3. dream_police

They don’t wear collars. I’d pay you to come and put one on him!

Zou and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My RTBC is that I'm coping better without a supply of running hot water than I ever expected I would.
    The immersion heater in the hot water cylinder failed a few weeks ago, and as I replaced the last one shortly after moving in here, I expected doing the same again would be a doddle. It wasn't. After partially draining the tank I tried a flat spanner on the large nut of the immersion heater. Would it move? No way. Bought one of the recommended large socket spanners, and tried again. I wasn't strong enough. Ordered and received 1m of suitable sized steel rod to give me extra leverage. The top of the cylinder started to buckle, and then the rod started bending... Nothing for it but get a new tank and replace that. And several weeks on, I'm still at it. The worst moment was when I disconnected the connections to the "drained some years ago" central heating feed, and lots of filthy brown stained water gushed out in the airing cupboard - and that's above my camera and "important documents" cupboard. Why is it taking me so long? Mainly because plumbing is a job for the young and fit which I'm definitely not, and I'm trying to do the job without any changes to the house structure - my brother suggests that the original installation of the tank was before the bath and plasterboard surround was installed.

My RTBC is that none of the filth seeped through to the cupboard, and the house deeds, cameras etc. were not affected. Perhaps later today I may complete the reinstatement, and reconnect the electrics - for me, the easy part. Fortunately I don't have a SWMBO living with me going on about the lack of hot water, and I'm not being bullied into an early grave.

peterba and daft_biker like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just as I had put on my coat over my jammies to go out and search for my bins, which had wandered off in the night, a kind man got out of his car and dragged them back to my gate. Strange that it has happened now. Wind about 60mph from the South, but gusting nasty sharp shocks every now and then.

peterba likes this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Just loading the car for a weekend away. :)

7. dream_police

Why on earth don’t you get someone in to do it? It may be cheaper in the long run. And you’ll be more happy when you have hot water this side of Christmas.:)

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Thanks for the tip. Back door key where it usually is, under the flower pot?

DaveM399 likes this.
  9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very sensible option, but not for me with my long memories of having tradesmen in my home.
    And, decluttering to make my place "safe" to people working here, is not an option - I've accumulated just too much "stuff" over the decades; WWII childhood with just one toy syndrome. I'm very nearly there, all I have to do now is to run a leak test with suitable precautions in place.

10. dream_police

No, Martin leaves it up a cows arse. The one of the places he seems to be quite comfortable with.:)

11. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Having just taken a sip of a drink, that made me splutter with laughter, Nige - in an amused/appalled way. :eek::D

dream_police likes this.
  12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Which reminds me of an incident at Uxbridge golf course, where there was a field of horses immediately to right of the first tee. A big horse raised it's tail at just the moment the group in front of us hit a bit of a push. You can imagine where the ball disappeared.

Couldn't find any specific reference in the rule book, so declared it OOB.

MJB and dream_police like this.
  13. dream_police

And that reminds me of a saying we had on firearms re shit shots. Couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Going back to cats being crazy for certain foods, aside from the usual meat/fish cravings, our Paolo has only ever once chewed through packaging to get at something inside. That was a pack of butteries from the bakery. If you don't know what a buttery is, you are missing out. :)

Catriona likes this.
  15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

And unless you know which one it’s lucky dip time. When you get to the 379th you know it’s either her or the next one.

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had to give up trying to grow chillies in her garden because, every time they sprouted, her Maine Coons would eat them.

Zou likes this.
  17. dream_police

Might have to see if my Maine Coons like chillies. Or maybe not.

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I might chew at the packaging to get at the Butteries but I can't imagine my cat doing so. I did have one cat with a penchant for frozen peas. Not cooked frozen peas...straight out of the freezer was her preference. She'd lick it, let it stick to her tongue and spend a few minute prying it off, licking and sticking, prying off and hten eventually eating. Don't ask how she discovered this particular delicacy - it involves some poor housekeeping and a warped sense of humour.

Catriona and Zou like this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As far as I can make out, it wasn't the actual chillies, just the sprouting plants, if you see what I mean.

20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Having puut on a few pounds over the winter, I'm blaming the butteries, so at great mental cost, I am abstaining at the moment. Boo-Hoo!

Geren and Zou like this.