1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Other than crashing through a wall, that is how our cats arrive when they hear even the slightest noise from one of the bags.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

The current incumbent is bone idle. She can tell the difference between someone opening, say, a packet of crisps or a packet of Dreamies, because she barely moves a whisker at the sound of a crisp pack but will go from 0-60 in the flip of a tail for Dreamies. However she won't be bothered to go looking for them and looked at me in disdain when I tried to hide some in a hollow ball for her to chase. That kind of shenanigans is evidently beneath her.

A previous cat was a different story. Cora would rip the packs open to get at cat treats. We hid the pack in a cupboard. Cora learned how to open the cupboard to get at the pack to rip it open to eat the treats. We put the treats in a sealed box in the cupboard. I would regularly go to the cupboard to get the box and find it gone. She'd have chased it around the ground floor of the house until it ended up under a sideboard or the sofa when she'd finally give up in disgust at such maltreatment. She was also the cat who somehow managed to remove a chicken carcass from a cooling pan of stock, drip stock, skin and smaller bone remnants all over the stovetop and kitchen floor in a trail to the catflap, but leave the lid on the pan.

My friend's cat has a penchant for Quorn 'chicken' nuggets and the child lock on their freezer is not for her sixteen year old son, but to prevent Slab from hauling out everythign else in there as he searches for the Quuggets.

dream_police likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That's better! :) I loved having a greenhouse. Great to escape to!

4. dream_police

There must be something in them that makes them addictive. Ours, Shadow especially will pester like mad for them. God help us if we don't give her some when she wants them. We cut back on giving them for that reason.

5. dream_police

Despite having a big garden, it really isn't conducive to having a veg patch or greenhouse. The main part of the garden, I want to keep as that. As you head down there is a small lawn area with mature bushes and trees and where I have planted the pear and plum. Another area is grassed that has my shed and the 2 apple trees but below that is a septic tank, which then drains on to another area which has the soak away, then down further to the stream area which for a lot of the time is very wet. We could plant veg in planters though and in fact have considered it. The main problem is, neither of us have very green fingers.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I do think Maddy would eat them till she was sick if given the option. That said they've been useful. When we moved here, she was quite upset with life. Our old house was large and she was free to go in and out of the catflap as she saw fit with a quiet village and beach to explore at will. The move to a small flat on a very busy main road with the added attraction of gulls nearby meant we felt it wasn't safe to let her out any more. The previous owners had a dog and it took us ages to get rid of the smell of dog. Maddy had a solution to that. Pee all over everything that sniffed vaguely canine. She absolutely refused to use a litter box, preferring the carpet in the living room. Honestly I was at my wits end until we covered her favourite spot with a litter tray and gave her a couple of Dreamies every time she used it. She's now properly using her box but does use it and then promptly come tapping me on the shoulder for her reward!

7. dream_police

They aren't cheap either, unless you get a large box from B and M bargains which works out considerably cheaper.

We have tried Aldi's own brand treats. They are totally not interested in them. Don't even bother sniffing them if I put them out.

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Do NOT offer Webbox cat treats they're even more addictive. Bonnie does not really normally do stick shaped treats so the usual routine is they get one each and Ganzi bolts his down so he can get Bonnie's as well. He tried that on Saturday only to find Bonnie had wolfed hers down. I had to put the box in the cupboard and every time I go to the kitchen they both look at the cupboard hopefully

9. dream_police

Unfortunately Shadow likes the webbox yoghurt stuff too. Kotaro isnt a user of that drug.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

A while back I switched my dogs from tinned dog food at approx £2 per day to Webbox as I wanted to try Tango on grain free to see if it helps his itching and I think it does and only costs £1.30 per day to feed them. Both of them do smaller and firmer poops on it too, fwiw.

Treats are usually more expensive than the food.....they had my mate's share of the roast sirloin the other night, plus what they were going to get off our plates anyway.....and then Bravo snuck into the kitchen and ate the fat and the string off the chopping board!:mad:

11. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Last Sunday wife, daughter, two spaniels and self were returning home off the moor.
    Walking down a track to our dale lane when a barn owl gave a superb flying display.
    Up a grazing field, to our right, right turn and park on a wall on our right about 25 yards away.
    When it took off, it flew across our path into a plantation of firs, reappeared a few seconds later and flew down to the dale lane, turned and flew along the verge and disappeared into a local barn, its current abode.

Zou and daft_biker like this.
  12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Return with a camera at the same time of day as barn owls often have habitual patrol routes.

daft_biker likes this.
  13. dream_police

My wife went to our local cinema last night (a reopened local one, not a multiplex) of which we are members. She showed her membership card and was asked if she wanted a concession ticket for over 60's. She is only 53 this year.
    How I laughed.

Zou, AndyTake2, Geren and 2 others like this.
  14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well, I think that's terribly cruel, Nige. I certainly wouldn't have laughed in those circumstances... honestly... ;););) :D:D

15. dream_police

Luckily I wasn't there, she was with friends. She only told me tonight.

peterba likes this.
  16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

This foul caustic cream I am noputting on my face to remove some Sun damage can be stopped soon.

17. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I'm back at home after a week away in Auckland - no more insane traffic, constant traffic noise, and nights too hot to sleep.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  18. dream_police

Anyone want to buy a cat?

It's like the bloody killing fields our house. Woke up this morning, had my shower, went to the spare room to get dressed and had to remove another ex living thing and hoover up the detritus.

Not a RTBC.

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Time to lock the cat flap.

20. dream_police

I really don’t want a litter tray and they’d go absolutely crazy being locked in.