1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As I said before: rubbish. The only perversity here is the idea that for something to be good it must involve "a lovely young girl" and not just a girl.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Keep digging, you'll get there in the end.

MJB, PentaxManiac and DaveM399 like this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot of double standards going on here.
    After reading some early (before mine) comments on another thread 'portraits' where the model was being appraised rather than the photos, methinks you do protest too much at Andrew's observation.

How many of you know the woman personally? How do you know 'lovely' referred to her personality rather than her looks? No, Andrew's comment was valid. Arguments against his interpretation were disingenuous.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  4. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I agree - to fit his perverse narrative.

FWIW when I read the 'lovely' bit what came into my mind was a happy, chirpy young person who was mended - mended physically and psychologically. If physical attributes came into it at all it was to assume that she was not as disfigured as she might have been after such a terrible accident. It was Mr F who introduced weight and acne - no-one else did.

I'm afraid that the post from Mr F throws more light into the dark recesses of his mind than it does anyone else's.

MickLL

Zou and dream_police like this.
  5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

We (at least I) don't know her - I've never even seen a picture. However it's a given that 'lovely' can refer to many attributes. It's clear that most of us, in fact all of us but Andrew, took lovely to refer to factors other than 'prettiness' if you will forgive that word.

I've explained what I thought when I read the post. One thing that I omitted in that other post was that thoughts of the relationship between patient and surgeon entered my head. Favourably I hasten to add before anyone twists that.

MickLL

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    dream_police likes this.
  6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We don’t know of course. We do not know for definite what was in the mind of the OP but it was just typical of Andrew to jump to a conclusion that he knew what Dangie was thinking and to make a thing of it and bring in her looks, acne, etc. In my mind just to be awkward and start this type of conversation. I could be wrong of course, that may be the way his mind works.
    We often have conversations on here on Political correctness being forced upon us and the fact that people make issues of the facts for no other reason than the fact they can.
    This seems to me to be in the same vein. Other opinions of course are available as he is keen to tell us.

Gezza likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If you read again what I wrote, repeated here for completeness...
    ...how does that show I "knew what Dangie was thinking"? I was asking Dangle because I genuinely wanted to know.

The answer was in fact...
    ...so I explained myself as clearly as I could...
    ...and from there on other people including yourself started telling me what I was thinking.

8. EightBitTony

Nah, I totally disagree. Given this is directed at me, when I commented the individual had specifically called out physical attributes of the woman, in this case, one person said lovely and Andrew then took that to relate to her looks, which it just doesn't.

My nephew's a lovely guy, polite, thoughtful, considerate.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

RTBC:
    My tax rebate was paid into my account this morning!

10. Catriona

How do you know she is the same?
    Methinks you all do protest too much.

11. EightBitTony

Because the original poster _watched her speaking on a TV show_.

Only one person in this thread equated Lovely with Appearance and it was Andrew. He then continued to double down. Sorry.

12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I saw her on the news as well, she was just a pleasant young girl that had an unfortunate accident. She was very happy about it and so was the surgeon. it was just a story about a happy ending. Shame it’s descended into this. Maybe time to move on.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A few seasons of South Park have appeared on Netflix!

Gezza and MJB like this.
  14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I hope that you don't go mad with it but also hope that you enjoy a modest treat. Beer in the Bells I suppose was it.

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A couple of pints in the Bell's including buying a friend who often buys me a beer one

peterba and John Farrell like this.
  16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

*Big fat thumbs up* to Lesley.

Adrian

Learning and John Farrell like this.
  17. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

RTBC - again.

Yesterday 'my' patient got the cancer 'all clear' for another six months.

OTOH Extinction Rebellion cost me £30 and three hours and caused us to miss the appointment (even though we had left early in anticipation of problems) . Happily (for us) the hospital was experiencing mayhem because of the ER protest and was seeing patients as they managed to get there.

MickLL

18. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

There are 36 working days until I retire and I have 32 days of vacation to use before then.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 3:25 PM
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Typhoon #19 (aka Hagibis, but no-one I know in Japan uses these names) has passed the in-laws without incident.

20. Catriona

That's good. It passed Yumi and Nadege (old Flickr friends) safely too although left some damage in its wake. I see Winnipeg is also going through the mill with snow storms causing havoc. Extreme weather condityions are certainly making themselves felt.

steveandthedogs, Zou and peterba like this.