1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Among the various things I see on the roads around here was this rather scruffy golf buggy sitting on the verge of the A3052 yesterday. No idea if it's escaped or been abandoned (some people just don't treat the poor little things with respect)...

Panasonic G9 8GB 08 P1012427.JPG

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Er, so does a bar of cheap soap Lesley.

S

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I know it was just a joke item to put in their stockings

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Your brother wears stockings !!

6. Andrew Flannigan

Don't we all? :confused::confused::confused::confused: :cool:

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Prefer tights myself - don't have the problem of keeping your seams straight...

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Only when making a withdrawal at the bank.

Catriona likes this.
  9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

RTBC I put our old garden table and chairs on ebay instead of talking them to the dump and someone is coming to collect them in a couple of hours.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done you. There's quite a drive on to pass goods on, including clothes. It's a good idea and there's always someone worse off than you.

11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

RTBC - I've just bought some new shoes with those memory foam insoles, so when I walk into the kitchen I don't have to remember why I went there.

12. RovingMike

Sure it didn't owe us anything so I put a BIN price of £20 on it. Couple were straight round and were delighted.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

16. Catriona

Regardless of any deals table, the UK has for a long time dealt arms to Saudi Arabia with impunity and much profit.
    No doubt the UK will, as they say, appeal the judgement. I hope they get nowhere. It is an obscene trade and I would love to see it gone for ever.

17. Andrew Flannigan

I agree but the reality is that absent an alien fleet in orbit forcing us to behave it just won't happen. :(

RovingMike likes this.
  18. RovingMike

And inevitably, what we do does not happen in a vacuum. Certainty is they will acquire arms and use of them will be the same, so not sure our own unilateral hand-washing will achieve a lot. It requires at least an effective blockade and embargo. Before someone throws in the inevitable, but trite, non-sequiteur "Well does that make it right then?" no, that's not in question.

Like anything, it needs to be worked through the range of possibilities, some of which might be far worse: do Russia or China extend their influence in the region? Do SA (like India) start their own production? Since that leads to escalation, do they like N Korea develop their own atomic weapons?

Do we prefer a world in which there are a few relatively more responsible exporters, or a multitude of uncontrolled manufacturing countries, all looking to export to amortise the huge costs?

Like prohibition in US, be careful what you wish for.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  19. Catriona

It's a profitable business.
    End of story.
    Morality doesn't enter the equation.

Justifications and reasoned argument doesn't wash with me. It's money making with no thought to the usage of the recipient. Arms dealers just don't give a damn apart from how much they can make. Most Governments don't give a damn either since they do rather well out of it too.

20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member