1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Crazy mad internet friends.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the students I support randomly brought me a 'thank you' gift for all the help I've given her. It wasn't the end of term, or after I'd done anything especially out of the ordinary and so it was very unexpected and a bit worrying when I realised that she must have spent about forty or fifty pounds that I don't believe she could readily afford. It's my belief that the gift, although kindly and generously given, was a manifestation of a deeper anxiety issue on her part but in any case, college policy wouldn't allow me to accept something like this. I had to gently explain that I couldn't accept the gift but that if she were willing she could choose a charity to donate it to instead.

I happened to mention this to my group of online friends because I was seeking advice from a couple of them who work in mental health and also because the gift had actually been two of my favourite things and as much as I knew it was the right (only) thing to do in returning it, I was a little deflated at not going home with a massive bottle of expensive gin and an extravagant amount of turkish delight.

They gave me the referrals I needed and I thought no more of it. Until about a week later I got a call from my husband while at work. A parcel had arrived for me, from Amazon. It was strangely wrapped, heavy for its size, lots of tape, no readable postmark and basically had all the hallmarks of a parcel bomb. (Both my husband and I have previously worked for MoD contractors and are well acquainted with annual mandatory 'letter bomb training' they dished out to all and sundry) I told him that I definitely hadn't ordered anything from Amazon so he said he was going to open it in the garden and keep me on speaker so that if it went off I could hang up and call 999!!!!! All this while I'm at work and my boss is listening - and laughing hysterically at my facial expressions.

Anyway it wasn't a bomb, it was turkish delight flavoured gin liqueur and I knew immediately that it was my group of internet friends that were behind it. I got in touch to thank them and relayed the ridiculous shenanigans that had gone into the opening of it.

Over the course of the next week, I got regular deliveries of Cadbury's Turkish delight, some Turkish coffee, a turkey stock cube and other random turkey/turkish items. All very amusing and I was warmed by their wit and consideration.

Then this week I got another weirdly wrapped parcel. It had far too much postage, the address was incorrect, there was enough tape on it to wrap a very big thing, it had a wire sticking out at one end and greasy marks at the other. Gentle prodding suggested it consisted of 'rods' of some description. However, I could see a Dundee postmark and so I instantly guessed what it was. Sure enough, ten rolls of extra large parma violet sweets wrapped up individually in red paper with black electrical tape binding them together to create a bunch of dynamite look-a-likes complete with fake fuse wires.

I suppose, on reflection, it's a reason to be amazed that it made it through our postal system without being siphoned off to the bomb squad but it did make me laugh.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. Cats only permitted the evolution of apes into humans as a way of developing better cat food.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Also, because I have another wonderful internet friend in Stornoway, (ahem!) I was the recipient of another bottle of gin recently. I would like to report that it was opened last night, served on ice with tonic and a hefty squeeze of lemon juice - and was delicious. Thank you Kate - it left me feeling very cheerful indeed!

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Very glad! In this awful weather, we need cheering up!

DaveM399 and Geren like this.
  5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Minutes? I don't think my 3 year old Labrador knows what not hungry means.....He'll act like he needs out and sits in the rain just to get bribed back in with biscuits.

Anyway, another RTBC would be all the customers at work giving me leads for work after I take redundancy as I came home with another business card yesterday(for commercial photography work). Not that we've had any official meetings about it yet and I suspect the only reason we've had any communication about it was because it was leaked to the press.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Perhaps I’m being horrible but a grumpy old man has just made me happy. I followed him out of the supermarket into the lift. He wasn’t aware that I was behind him. As he entered the lift he pressed the button for floor 2, then turned around with his trolley as I was entering the same lift. He made a loud humph and was obviously pissed off that I had come in behind for some reason (the doors hadn’t even started to close) I pressed floor 1 and got out when the doors opened with him following me. Another loud humph when he realised he was on the wrong floor and had to turn around and go back to the lift.
    Cruel maybe, but I had to laugh quietly to myself.

7. Catriona

Scotland drawing with England yesterday. Yeah!

Benchista likes this.
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Absolutely terrific game.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

What were they drawing?

10. Catriona

It sure was! Rugby as it should be played. Thoroughly enjoyed it myself (regardless of the score) :)

Benchista likes this.
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Just this afternoon's milking to do then I have 9 days off:)

daft_biker and Geren like this.
  12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite. The score really didn't matter, there was some outstanding play from both sides, and great spirit from both, too. Had it been fiction, nobody would have believed it.

It was very nice to see Scotland finally playing as well as they can in that second half.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Last night we watched "3 Billboards Outside of Ebbing". It was the wife's choice and I was preparing for the sleep that follows upon boredom. About 2 minutes in I was no longer bored. Turned out to be the blackest, funniest film I've watched for many years. Now there's a reason to be cheerful. :D

RovingMike likes this.
  14. dream_police

I thoroughly enjoyed that film, too.

15. dream_police

We were at some friends house last night and seeing the look on their faces when at their request Amazon Alexa played a song by their daughter (who incidentally has a beautiful voice).

16. dream_police

Finding this rabbit alive and apparently uninjured despite being brought into the house in Kotaro's mouth. He took it upstairs where Sarah managed to get him to let go and it ran off under a bed and I caught it in a towel. If rabbits could speak, I am sure it would have said "cheers mate". Let it loose at the bottom of the garden. Hope he doesn't find it again later.

IMG_6649.jpg

17. Catriona

Aw!
    Cats are good at catching rabbits though.

18. dream_police

Kotaro certainly is. At least this one still has its head attached. The last one was not so fortunate. We live in the country so it is hardly surprising I guess. Most things caught are mice and voles and I rescue a fair few of those too.

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

I have to confess they were a pest in my old garden. I wasn't always concerned if I saw a cat going after one.
    2778931192_99ec084bbe_m.jpg

20. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well I did manage this over a few nights
    The diffraction spikes are due to not realising that I'd knocked the aperture ring when remounting the lens (180mm f/3.4 Apo-Telyte-R) after changing a filter.
    Duff HaLRGB.jpg