1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

There are particular circumstances that have made all of the eminently sensible advice above, rather more difficult than you'd imagine. Local employment opporutnities are are bit of a one horse affair and in order to accept the severance package that he was offered, he had to agree not to seek employment with any similar horses (!) anywhere, for a period of 12 months after the termination of his contract. 12 months of being out of only game in town (to mix my Spaghetti Western metaphors) is a long time and as we imagine they'd hoped, his contacts all moved on and out by the time he was allowed to try and find employment in his field. We had to take the severance package to survive. He has actually volunteered his services too, and believe it or not, had no interest whatsoever. This short term contract that has come about with my own employer is the first sniff of work he has had. I am very much hoping that between this and the college course, his state of mind might be improved enough that he'll start seeing positive possible outcomes where currently all he sees is obstacles.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

12 months? That's nasty! Funking barstewards the lot of them. It was 3 months in the same University for my last employer, but only desperation will ever get me back working there.

Adrian

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, it must be a horrible experience. Big friendly caring company turns into something else entirely when downsizing and the restrictions they place on severance are crippling. It sometimes seems that them that wants to go (or should go by dint of being useless) can't, and them that wants to keep contributing (and are needed) get pushed out. The decisions made can be arbitary and damaging to all. I'm pleased the opportunity to start afresh has realised and hope it works out well for him.

Geren likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

All these NDAs, employment lockouts and the rest should go. They harm the employees who are relatively weak and benefit only the employers who are far stronger. It's bloody nearly a throwback to serfdom. That's why I became a contractor and anything stupid in the contract got crossed out. It was interesting how seldom anyone argued about that and the few who did were no loss so far as I was concerned.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I remember an audit firm I worked for for about a year (it was dire). Because I earned over £1500 a year (I was on £1550) I was supposed to give 3 months notice if I left. I'm afraid they got a month and a metaphorical 2 fingers - and I went to BA with a big hoik in salary and working conditions. They didn't sue me - they just folded as a Company not long afterwards. Ha!

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I read that as an Adult film. I began to wonder what you did in a previous life!!

Catriona likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That is covered by the official secrets act... or am I thinking of the awful secret act? :confused:

Catriona likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

So it wasn't just me then.

dream_police likes this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yup.

But onwards. Things could be worse. We’re still here kicking up a fuss and getting on with things!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Maybe. But my son got a big wedge for signing one when he left his last. And that was mediated by his staff union.

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Indeed - I got about an extra 14K over statutory, which I couldn't say no to as I'd just bought a house, and didn't know when I'd get another job... As it was I was in work again 5 weeks later, so it's come in very handy. I am saving a little bit of it for a new bathroom suite so I can think of my old employer every time I download something...

Adrian

LesleySM, Learning, Geren and 4 others like this.
  12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yesterday I shot the local gala day parade then posted a link to the images in the residents' forum. Seems to have gone down a treat....

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Andys-other-pics-581113975711195/posts/

It would have been easier if I had remembered to turn auto rotate and jpeg on but otherwise it was all 1/500th f/6.3 and ISO 400 under a flat grey sky.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes weather is a real problem with these things.

Last two days I have been reducing 653 of the RPS London's Celebrating London project covering events and parades in London over the year, down to a long list of about 90 for their exhibition. I think I was more than generous with 2/3 of the ones I put through and expect many to fall at final selection. Hope other judges found more to celebrate, but I got the plumb Lord Mayor's Show and New Year's Day parades, Brexit marches, plus many other smaller things. Not easy at all.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The ones at the end were certainly looking a bit fed up due to the weather but from a shooting perspective consistent light is easier than trying to keep up with changing light and changing subject matter at the same time. I approached it like I would a job with a company doing mass-start sport events where I had over the memory card and walk away at the end of the shoot.....except it was my memory card so I get to keep it and see what I shot. It only took my about 90 minutes between finishing shooting to have the pics up for people to start enjoying.

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You are probably correct...

16. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

RTBC. Back before Xmas I noticed Sir Hugo Poshington-Snooty was missing. I brought him a couple of years ago. He's a Maneko-Neko in the shape of a very snobbish looking Siamese cat wearing a waistcoat and a cravat. Used to have a gold monocle on a chain but Ganzi as a kitten found the chain to irrestible and ran off with it.

Anyway I looked but couldn't find him and eventually reached the sad conclusion as he sits on the table next to a waste paper bin that someone (Ganzi) must have knocked him in there and I emptied it and threw the rubbish out not realising Sir Hugo was in there.

I mean he's nothing special wasn't expensive but back after I lost my job etc he used to cheer me up I even looked for another Sir Hugo but couldn't find one

Today as I was rearranging shoes, I suddenly saw something blue and picked it up

It was Sir Hugo!

He has now taken up his usual position by the phone

17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Phew!

18. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Lesley your post about Sir Hugo Poshington-Snooty is a beauty.
    "...he used to cheer me up..."; then he went missing.
    You sought him, you must have sought very hard mentally.
    No replacement found BUT the original returned.

The universe moves in a most strange way
    He was away cheering up someone else who needed it.

LesleySM likes this.
  19. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

You may be right. I looked loads of times and yes where he turned up I looked loads of times and suddenly there he was!

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The Brexit party did quite well and the Tories almost did as badly as was hoped.
    Scotland yet to declare so SNP likely to make me less cheerful tomorrow.(later today).