1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

There are particular circumstances that have made all of the eminently sensible advice above, rather more difficult than you'd imagine. Local employment opporutnities are are bit of a one horse affair and in order to accept the severance package that he was offered, he had to agree not to seek employment with any similar horses (!) anywhere, for a period of 12 months after the termination of his contract. 12 months of being out of only game in town (to mix my Spaghetti Western metaphors) is a long time and as we imagine they'd hoped, his contacts all moved on and out by the time he was allowed to try and find employment in his field. We had to take the severance package to survive. He has actually volunteered his services too, and believe it or not, had no interest whatsoever. This short term contract that has come about with my own employer is the first sniff of work he has had. I am very much hoping that between this and the college course, his state of mind might be improved enough that he'll start seeing positive possible outcomes where currently all he sees is obstacles.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

12 months? That's nasty! Funking barstewards the lot of them. It was 3 months in the same University for my last employer, but only desperation will ever get me back working there.

Adrian

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, it must be a horrible experience. Big friendly caring company turns into something else entirely when downsizing and the restrictions they place on severance are crippling. It sometimes seems that them that wants to go (or should go by dint of being useless) can't, and them that wants to keep contributing (and are needed) get pushed out. The decisions made can be arbitary and damaging to all. I'm pleased the opportunity to start afresh has realised and hope it works out well for him.

Geren likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

All these NDAs, employment lockouts and the rest should go. They harm the employees who are relatively weak and benefit only the employers who are far stronger. It's bloody nearly a throwback to serfdom. That's why I became a contractor and anything stupid in the contract got crossed out. It was interesting how seldom anyone argued about that and the few who did were no loss so far as I was concerned.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I remember an audit firm I worked for for about a year (it was dire). Because I earned over £1500 a year (I was on £1550) I was supposed to give 3 months notice if I left. I'm afraid they got a month and a metaphorical 2 fingers - and I went to BA with a big hoik in salary and working conditions. They didn't sue me - they just folded as a Company not long afterwards. Ha!

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I read that as an Adult film. I began to wonder what you did in a previous life!!

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That is covered by the official secrets act... or am I thinking of the awful secret act? :confused:

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

So it wasn't just me then.

dream_police likes this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yup.

But onwards. Things could be worse. We’re still here kicking up a fuss and getting on with things!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Maybe. But my son got a big wedge for signing one when he left his last. And that was mediated by his staff union.

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Indeed - I got about an extra 14K over statutory, which I couldn't say no to as I'd just bought a house, and didn't know when I'd get another job... As it was I was in work again 5 weeks later, so it's come in very handy. I am saving a little bit of it for a new bathroom suite so I can think of my old employer every time I download something...

Adrian

Learning, Geren, DaveM399 and 3 others like this.