1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I am retiring five years early. I will have to wait five years for the government pensions. And yes the age may be raised by then.

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

If I need to go back to IT to pay the bills I might need them myself. On call work was all hours and London trips were long days and if I was doing that sort of stuff the cost of pet services shouldn't be an issue.

However there also seems to be a fair bit of people leaving their dogs with relatives who will enjoy them but are not able to walk them....and parents who don't trust their kids if they go away for the weekend!

Catriona likes this.
  3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately some people have no-one to walk the dog during the day, and often need someone to let the poor beastie out for half an hour or so.
    It's sad that they don't have neighbours they can trust to do this, but that's the price of our wonderful society.

I'd prefer to see someone pay rather than leave their dog home alone all day like some do.
    One of my friends walks dogs for people but makes no charge. There is a website called borrowmydoggy, which lets her walk someone's dog (she doesn't have her own) which also helps the owner, who can't always get out.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I pet the Burmese cat from over the road and a couple of houses down. He comes in and jumps on my lap and tells me he's starved of love over there.

Then he usually tries to kill me, or assassinate a scatter cushion if I get out of the way in time.

AndyTake2 and Derek W like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's sunny and warm - and my lovely neighbour's son is pressure washing the concrete bit of the back yard, and the paving. Looks great! They are so kind to me.

6. RovingMike

I've been invited to the huge sewage works at Kingston for induction to H&S requirements before being given a permit to photograph the river that runs through it. At least I think it is a RTBC.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Interesting places. I wonder if they still grow loads of tomato plants?

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

We used to have sewage sludge spread on the fields. It's amazing what plants get flushed.

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Is that where they play a floating crap game?

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

No shit Sherlock?!

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

@Roving Mike, no doubt you will need some jabs before they let you loose, just be careful out there....

12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Surely not 'unlimited' films, but limited to what they have on offer?
    I looked at some of these services a while ago, and the number of films available that I would want to watch was less than I expected.
    I decided to stick with Freeview HD and very occasionally renting a recent film on DVD from my local library for £1.50.

13. RovingMike

Yes that is my concern. They won't tell me what "induction" involves, just to be there at 10am.

14. RovingMike

I guess I will find out. But given my reaction to the bug from India last year, I have no wish to peer into the murky depths of what they do, even for sake of the unique opportunity I'll have. All this just to fill in a missing stretch of river.

Catriona likes this.
  15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A safety induction is a means of familiarisation with site rules, emergency procedures, working practices, permit procedures etc. Depending on the site/business it can be a short or long process.

16. RovingMike

But no needles, hazmat suit?

17. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Capacitance, inductance......

Andrew Flannigan and AndyTake2 like this.
  18. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Reluctance....?

19. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Just ask Henry:D

Andrew Flannigan and DaveM399 like this.
  20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's a water treatment plant, not a biological weapons facility! Should be interesting.