1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

My pension raises total about £20 month, rent increase over £30; so not cheerful

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My wife gets her pension the day after me. She got her rise but I've got to wait another 4 weeks. :mad:

3. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I get my pension in seven and a half months.

Catriona likes this.
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I a am cheerful - first time I have been able to get to the cottage since before Christmas, due to sundry child minding commitments in York not to mention medical problems. We had scheduled a week here but that got cut short by a funeral. However it's still good to be here

Catriona likes this.
  5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Getting made redundant on the 11th of May and going self employed. Has only taken since news was leaked and reported around the 25th Jan to get to a point where I know what I'll be doing in less than a month's time as today I saw it in writing and addressed to me.

Last week, as I have been led to understand it, I could have been left jobless and without a redundancy payout if they matched me with a part-time job and I refused it.

Now I just need to work on loads of nice doggy pics to help drum up business;)

6. RogerMac

bloody he'll. Your news (and the next post) have stopped me feeling cheerful

7. RogerMac

I have stopped feeling cheerful first Daft bikers post and also the destruction of Notre dame have left me miserable

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Bad news but often these set backs work out for the best. What is your current job?

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

If it helps I'm looking forward to the opportunity to try something new.....I'm frequently hearing reports of dog walkers having to turn away work and the population in my area is said to be growing at 18% so hopefully it is viable without treading on anybody else's toes.

Bumming about the counters in the local supermarket. Mostly I just stand about chatting to people and then go home with something nice and cheap for dinner (beef olives tonight:)).

John Farrell likes this.
  10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Are you sure? The retirement age might have rissen by then.:(

11. Andrew Flannigan

I'm sure the stone masons of France will be cheerful. They'll rebuild it which will probably employ a hundred or more people for at least 20 years. As that famously religious Frenchman François-Marie Arouet once wrote: "everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds". ;)

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Spare a thought for Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov. They love their cathedrals.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

A friends ex wife gave up her job as a solicitor to start her own dog walking company. She was very busy. Another friend left the police early and started a dog grooming business. A lot of money in dogs/pets i guess.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I briefed my colleagues yesterday.... When folk are buying fillet steak for their dogs give them one of my business cards. Might slip one or two in the shelf edge of the puppy food too.;)

No idea how much demand for it but there's a lassie down the road that charges 85 quid for taking pictures of people walking their own dogs. How many here would like paid for that?

15. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

When the dog has to go into "daycare" its either £13 for the local one or £20 for the farm. When we go on holiday it is going to cost a fortune (ie I am not going to be told how much).

Graeme

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The NT area near me always has several liveried vans of dog walkers. I like watching the walker trying to shepherd loads of dogs in and out of the vans and pickups, many using ramps to make it easier for them. Business would appear to be good, in my area at least.
    Good idea with the business cards.

daft_biker likes this.
  17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, kennels ain't cheap.Regulations are council dependent and overnight boarding regulations involve big fences and a licence here...... but taking dogs camping in the woods doesn't?

It removes the issue of not wanting my dogs couped up in a cage anyway and seems to side-step the council rules. One step at a time though....see how many local walks I can get without needing the car would be ideal and the first inquiry I've had was for 2 dogs 2 streets away. Otherwise I'm charging them mileage because I like to be environmentally conscious:)

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

How sad is it that people need to pay someone else to walk their dog.

19. Andrew Flannigan

I wonder if they also bark themselves when someone comes to the door?

John Farrell likes this.
  20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Visiting the in-laws 50 years ago, I offered to walk the dog of my wife's aunt, and was given its dog-whistle as well as its lead. Walked across the main road and on to Greenham Common. Let dog off lead, dog enjoys itself and finds other dogs, and after a few minutes I tried calling it - no response. Repeat, no response. Without thinking matters through, I blew the dog-whistle. Dog immediately knows where its owner is, and runs back to her (at in-laws home) - across the busy A34. I was petrified, but fortunately no harm to dog, or any vehicle. I've never offered my services again. (For those who know the area, this was before the A34 was dualled, and moved to the west.)