1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Don't want to turn this into yet another brexit thread, Kate, but the underlying agenda that historians are already noting is that the press barons were non too pleased following Maastricht that they were losing insight into and influence over the political life of the country. The movers and shakers they had access to were moving and shaking less and less in real terms. So they gravitated towards alliance with the Eurosceptics, who already numbered the old Etonian fraternity, who saw their traditional leadership role being eroded (which had started long before of course with a series of grammar school PMs).

Having been involved in studying how and why issues go critical at political level, in order to understand why some do (smoking, pester power, obesity etc) and some don't quite (alcohol, car safety, ecology etc), conclusion was that when two issues collide, they more than double the political potency of the core issue they share. In this case, getting control back (into the hands of those steadily losing it).

Whatever others might believe, this is the core driver that made Brexit go critical.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The internet made me do it, honestly. What with a thread about drinking, Andrew posting photos of Tunnock's wafers and one about bokeh! :)

2 new gins, a packet of wafers from Aldi and a bit of OOF background. (and to be fair OOF foreground too before anyone else comments, joys of a totally manual lens!)

[​IMG]The internet made me do it by Nigel G, on Flickr

Zou, John Farrell, DaveM399 and 2 others like this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Sidmouth in full Spring mode this morning with the lady morris dancers out collecting for charity in between performances...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1012111.JPG

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1012117.JPG

David Loxley likes this.
  4. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

R.T.B.C.
    I woke up this morning.
    Was able to open my eyes and recognise everything..........I think.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

RTBC just had two friends round for Bridge, both rabid leavers and we are still friends. The B word was never mentioned.....even when we made 3NT to win the second rubber.

spinno likes this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've just seen the first two swallows of summer! (in the immortal words of Frank Skinner - one swallow doesn't make a summer, but it can certainly make your evening)

What's interesing is that Fartbook tells me that it's the anniversary of me spotting the first one reported in the county back in 2015. Given the warm weather we've had, I doubt very much I'll get that accolade this year. I was looking for sand martins in the gloaming that evening (they are usually first to arrive, then house martins, then swallows and finally swifts), and my main memory apart from how gloomy it was is how baltic it was!

Adrian

Catriona likes this.
  7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Ah Tunnock's caramel wafers! Dave introduced them to me and I've loved them ever since!

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm Tunnock's teacakes. Anyone who doesn't like them is a total heathen!

10. dream_police

Freak.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Says the naked man wearing an horse's head.

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I suggested to the rep he should offer people a free pack if they could get it in their mouth and then make it to the checkouts without breaking the chocolate.

Zou likes this.
  13. dream_police

Yeah, but not eating a bloody Tunnock’s teacake!

Catriona and MJB like this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Any Tunnocks - yuk!

15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The day's work is nearly done - the feckup Fairy sprinkled her stardust around the place over the weekend, and I've spent a sizable chunk of the day running round like a fly with a blue bum as a result.

Adrian

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Finding channel 232 Westminster Live. Now I can make up my own mind and not have to rely on any other media for opinions or selective memories.

peterba likes this.
  17. dream_police

I have recently started watching it on BBC Parliament. I like Sky, but as you say, it is not interrupted by commentators on this channel, if indeed this is what you mean by Westminster live

Gezza, peterba and Catriona like this.
  18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I heart Tunnocks:)

19. Catriona

It's the freeview channel showing what is happening in Westminster as it happens.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So far the only channel I have paid for is BBC, and for the last six months have not paid for that. If people with too much money for their own good and that of society generally did not support the likes of Sky, Netflicks, and similar organisations, everyone would benefit except the blood suckers.