1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Readers Losing Interest In APOY

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by AlterBridger, Dec 21, 2011.

1. AlterBridger

AlterBridger Member

For me, the APOY competition has completely lost its way. I've not only noticed a dramatic increase in the quality of the APOY entries, but also the quantity of international winners.
    The reasons for this could be increased international distribution or more likely - easier APOY entry by email, for folk who don't even have to prove they buy/support the magazine.
    This has resulted in APOY joining the ranks of the other top end glossy magazine competitions, who now only publish near professional quality results, which is the main reason I now DO NOT buy those top end mags. The images are not only inspirational but out of reach for 90% of amateurs.
    International entries immediately generate attention for one reason - uniqueness.
    You can join this band of international warriors though - dont forget your camera when you go on an unique holiday destination.
    Perhaps it should be re-titled - to IPOY ?

2. Steampunk

Steampunk Well-Known Member

I agree, I think there should be a category solely for pictures taken in this country, judging is always going to be a subjective issue but can a picture of a Cornish river be judged alongside a picture of Niagara falls?

I appreciate that judging takes into account more than just the subject matter but if both pictures are judged to be closely matched in skill, technique etc, does the uniqueness of the subject and location win the day?

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

How they work through all the entries now it is open to international by email is what I wonder. :confused:

It would be nice to know the number of entries they got for each round.

I personally preferred the second or third place in the last round (10) to the 1st place one of some stairs.

I sometimes enter but in general the brief does not fit in with what I want to shoot.

4. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

The judging is 'blind'. Location, kit etc. Previously readers/forum members were requesting entry by email :confused:

Why? Would this make a difference one way or another? Check the link for a general answer :)

As is your right :)

(That one's for Huw) ;)

Huffington Post - Amateur Photographer Of The Year Winners 2011

I'll take the opportunity to wish forum members, one an' all... Feliz Navidad, próspero año y felicidad

5. P_Stoddart

Actually the links does tell us it's around 2000 entries per round. Which I think works out to around 10 images to be reviewed per day. Presuming a normal EU 48 hour week.

I was not complaing about email entry I had asked way back when I just emailed requests to the support department of AP.

Just a comment but the sponsors must be happy. :)

Most of the top three shots are on Canon kit.

Out of 30 prize winning shots

I workout 20 Canons, 9 Nikons and 1 Ricoh and of cause 28 of them are dSLR. Mainly pro models.

Actually the OP might be right. If only 2000 entries are submitted per round the readership must be much higher than that.

So why are all the readers not entering? There's no cost to entry. :confused:

6. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Presumption is a dangerous thing... anyone know what the time is?

As I have mentioned the judging is 'blind'.

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Ummm, no. Top quality images were always 80% inspiration, 10% subject matter & 10% technique ... nothing much has changed except that the digital revolution has raised the bar on technique.

The UK is large and varied enough to be able to find examples of almost any kind of subject and any kind of light, if you're prepared to wait & then take full advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

I'm not a big fan of competitions but I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this one.

8. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

Because many of us don't consider photography a competitive pastime.

9. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I have occassionally put in a picture but as I'm not in the worlds top 30/50 there doesn't seem that much point.

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I have occasionally entered the odd round (unsuccessfully I may add) but to win the overall title takes 10 images of the highest quality and this I suspect is likely to require more time and imagination than most amateurs have or can afford.

Also the very high standard of the published images probably has a bit of a demoralising effect on those of us who are less than wholly convinced of our own talents...:rolleyes:

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

As a year long event Apoy is very much like an open club type competition.

Unlike Club competitions much of the top work is done by those very new to photography.
    The digital revolution has brought many new people to photography, they often have new Ideas, new vision and do not have the entrenched opinions of what makes a good Photograph; inherited perhaps, by a slow advance through the ranks of amateur photographic clubs.

I enjoy looking at the results as they come to us throughout the year. Like all photographs, sometimes one wonders what the judges saw in them. Some months may seem weak, other times the Judges must be hard put to make a decision. This is the luck of the draw in competitions like this. Entries can not be controlled.
    If you choose to enter,and I do not, you can not foretell who or what you will be up against. There are entries from all round the world, but most of those that find their way on to the page seem to come from British based photographers. I find all winners worth looking at. And they give a clear glimpse of where photography is today and perhaps a small clue as to where it is going.

Long live APOY. And well done those who take the time to enter.

12. P_Stoddart

I have to accept that is a good point. :)

My personal reason for entering is to see my work printed in the mainstream not for a title.

Hence I enter once in while when I think I have a image that might get into that section.

I know it can be done because Jack Hood who uses a Fujifilm S200EXR (bridge camera) got to 8th in round 5 and 39 in round 1. He also got a front cover (lucky b*gger) :D

Plus of cause there was Canon G9 shot that did well.

13. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Well, I'm not losing any interest and I think the high standard is a good thing. I certainly don't resent those amateurs who have much more time (there are lots that do) than me to devote to their hobby. Neither do I resent their kit (because it's mainly Canon, it seems! ;)
    The reason for being so many Canon users is the amateur nature of the comp. if it were open to professionals there'd be a lot more Nikon kit ;)
    Seriously, though, the notion of an 'only taken in this country' criterion is ridiculous and would not only preclude all the overseas entries, but a good many of the 'native' ones too.
    I look at the photos each month, sometimes enter, but always take inspiration from what I see. The judging is fair, as far as I can tell, and I have no reason to suspect otherwise. It is, however, subjective and there lies many a debating point for any photo comp. It is this subjectivity that prevents those WITH all the kit and time to prevail as it takes technique together with vision and artistry. That's why I believe it's a great competition and the standards are so damn high.
    Sorry - off the soapbox now!

14. Blind Pugh

Blind Pugh Well-Known Member

I agree with you,

I refuse to buy into the Nikon / Canon snobbery club ........Let's put up a fight for good bridge camera's like the FujiS200 EXR or Lumix FZ38 etc..

Would be nice to see the man on the street do well in competitions.

15. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

As I initially mentioned, the judging of APOY is 'blind' :) I've never won any competition :( , but then I've never been eligble to enter any which I may have wished to!
    APOY 2012 is on the way... it's free to enter ...well ;)

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

So long as the judges aren't blind.......

17. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

-I think most of us amateurs are competitive to some degree or other but as has been said, the standards set by APOY are simply so high that I feel discouraged! We could do with a competition for us lesser mortals where we have a better chance of winning even if the standard is lower. At least we'd be encouraged then.

True, every photo I see inspires me in some way, and at least some in my portfolio are half-way decent. But being OK isn't good enough is it? On another forum I put up photos for critique and sometimes get very encouraging comments. But within hours, the forum has moved on and my images are lost in the great album in the sky, never to be seen again. So transitory. Unless they are truly exceptional and few photographers can expect to consistently be that good!

I have a flickr page too but that is lost in the millions of competing photos. I keep trying of course, pushing myself and striving to improve. Post holiday blues eh!

18. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Thank you for your feedback Brian :) How do you see such a competition as being structured?**

*I would point out that any entrant to APOY can select to have their entry considered for the Appraisal section of AP, a competition of sorts, there is a prize :). One can also send submissions without entering APOY

**Given that the details of APOY entries are not disclosed to the judges and, on the other hand (and OT), all the monthly forum entries are there for all to see and comment upon (sans kit details etc).

19. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

My apologies Brian in my haste to be elsewhere I have messed up your post :(

Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  20. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

My reply was, is:

You mean somewhat like the Appraisal Gallery or, without the critique/modification, the Exhibition Lounge or perhaps a Personal Album :)