1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reactolite Lenses

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Lawsyd, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Lawsyd

Lawsyd Well-Known Member

So I now need a new glasses prescription. I have been using varifocals for years & they don't (because my eyes are so used to what they are supposed to do) effect my photography or focussing & exposure. I'm now considering going to light sensitive (Reactolite) lenses. Will they (a large part of me expects they will) make a difference to how I not only see a shot, but also to what I envisage are the correct exposure setting? Further, is there a recommended colour for the sunglasses bit of my new specs - one local optician offers a choice of grey, brown, or green.

Thanks for any advice.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I'd have thought a (neutral) grey would be best.

Roger Hicks and Lawsyd like this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Many years ago I had Reactolite type lenses. IIRC mine were greyish. Indoors and in dull light outside the tint was quite low and it didn't seem to make a huge difference to visual perception but once light levels increased and they got darker I did find that they did make some difference to the way colours looked - I suspect the greyish tint was neither truly neutral nor constant accross the full density range. Pictures that at the time I felt were rich and vibrant often turned out a bit paler than I remembered them one the prints or slides came back. Exposure wise I tended to rely on the TTL system though I imagine that I likely screwed a few up by wrongly compensating dor an exposure issue that was down to my specs and not reality.

I also found that on bright days they could make the veiwfinder even dingier than normal and the DoF preview, which makes the view dark anyway, became more or less unusable. One issue that may be worth considering with the modern camera is how they affect readability of the viewfinder info. My camera when I had tinted lenses mainly used match needle metering and real daylight to display the aperture and shutter values but today's LED/LCD finder displays may be a problem wihen the lens is deeply tinted.

If you optician offers a two for one deal it might be worth getting a second pair in plain glass - just in case...

FWIW I gave up on them in the end, partly because the gradually darkened over time (modern versions may be better in this respect) and partly because my job at the time required accurate colour vision - I had learned to compensate but felt in the end that it was easier to go back to colourless.

Lawsyd likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I always get one pair photochromic (grey)and one pair plain. There is a definite impact on colours as well as light levels, especially yellows such as gorse. I also find that on cloudy days what is light cloud can look like an over-cooked sky and impending rain so if I am photographing I prefer the plain.

Lawsyd likes this.