1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re: John Tonks Cameras

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roy5051, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Since when did the Bronica ETRS take square photos, since its negatives were 6x4.5" surely? Surely Jon meant the SQ series?

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

When they were being used by unhip photographers?

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nah, I used an SQa, Barney. I have flirted with 6x4.5, when I've felt pressure or something ... an attempt to be a bit less unhip. :D Cheers, Oly

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's what scissors are for :)

5. 0lybacker

I wrote unhip not unsnipped! :D

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I generally have a 645 magazine on my 500C/M and a 6x6 on my 500C. I can't recall if the SQ series have 645 magazines available.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think you could get 6x4.5 in landscape and 36 mm in either orientation. I just have 6x6's.

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Am I missing something - who is John Tonks and what connection is he to Bronica?

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Jon Tonks is a documentary photographer based in Bath, according to AP. He's featured in this week's "My life in cameras" article. Under 2005, he lists the Bronica ETRS, and states "This seduced me into the world of square format." Which as Roy says, is rather odd, because the ETR series all used the 645 format basically, and I don't believe there was a square format available without cropping - I believe that there were backs for 120 and 220 in 6x4.5 format, two 35mm backs (one standard, the other panoramic), and a Polaroid back, also producing rectangular images. So either he had a different camera, or he's mistaken about the shape of his negs.

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick I have not yet had a chance to read this weeks copy - must try harder!

11. 0lybacker

They do, Senator, but annoyingly they are 15-on 120. They also sell for serious money s/h, compared to the cost of a camera, lens, WLF & standard magazine also s/h.

In the hurly burly of a wedding, I had a working rhythm that was two shots for everything unless I had spotted that someone had moved or started talking while the mirror was flipping up. I got fed up with 12 frames meaning a frequent re-load and a pocket bulging with 20+ rolls. I switched to 15-on but got irritated by having to re-load with people posed & waiting.

At that point, I was wishing I had bought the minty Hasselblad 500CM that Tecno had in their Proctor Street shop window for a month in the late 1980s!
    Cheers, Oly