1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAW + JPEG: why?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by PentaxManiac, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Then we'll add in a little history lesson, shall we?

PC has long been used as an abbreviation for "Personal Computer", but it wasn't a very well-used phrase for many years - most people in the early 80s and before would've referred to a "micro" or "microcomputer" for this type of machine. And then IBM introduced their first model - the IBM 5150 or Personal Computer - PC was actually the product name, and one that was retained for several generations (PC XT and AT). It gained considerable market share, and before long everyone was trying to make IBM-compatible or "PC-compatible" machines. And so the usage changed from being any generic microcomputer to being specifically one with the same architecture as IBM and capable of running the same versions of DOS and later Windows. As time went by, the architecture and operating system defined the words more than IBM did, and when Macs became a lot more popular, the usage began to drift back to what it originally was - replacing micro for ever in common use.

So the reality is that everyone's right - it's specific to IBM, it relates to Windows PCs particularly, it relates to the architecture so whatever operating system runs on it is unimportant, and it's a generic term for, well, a personal computer. The only thing that matters is that people understand which sense you mean it in. :)

2. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to say that my ideas weren't so innocent ;)

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Micro in this context referring to something much smaller than a mainframe. By modern standards they were still quite large, if we assume that a smart phone is the modern equivalent of micro.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well they weren't all large; things like the Sinclairs were micros as well. Yes, they were micro compared to mainframes, but they were also micro compared to minicomputers - remember them? Micros were simply PCs.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Actually, no, I don't remember the minicomputer.
    I do remember that some of the microcomputers were little different in size from a CRT monitor so they weren't huge but somewhat bulkier than my iMac. Today, size in many computers is dictated by screen size but it wasn't always that way.

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure, we didn't have to worry about RAW files then!

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Minicomputers were smaller than mainframes, but substantially bigger than micros - they were multiuser, multitasking machines - i.e not personal computers.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The fore-runner of the workstation no less. I've been searching my off-line memory and the name PDP-11 floats to the surface.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Absolutely.

10. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

By that definition, Macs are definitely not PCs. Are those windowy things still PCs then?

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Actually the RAW format was invented in 1964 but we had to wait till the invention of digital cameras to be able to use it.

Honest... :rolleyes:

12. bulevardi

bulevardi Well-Known Member

I used to shoot an old Nikon D50, where my raw images were about 3-4 megabyte... I now have a D7000, where the raw's are 17-19 megabyte... which is a LOT more in size on my harddisk.

I decided to shoot now in RAW+JPG because for the usual family snapshots, I can just delete the unnecessary huge raw's and keep the jpg's... for the good photowork, I keep the RAW's.
    Why spend so much megabytes on snapshots, and the time to postprocess them manually.

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Or as early as 1700 and something if you count fancy patterns in cloth as pictures and punched cards as the RAW data :cool:

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong there. Just as the Japanese lead the camera world today, so they have always done. In fact, the history of raw, in its current form, can be traced back to 14th Century Japan, where it was known as すし, although more primitive versions considerably predate this. It can also be known as 鮨 or 寿司, but it is still raw.

Honest... :rolleyes:

15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

However, bokeh was a Croation invention taken to the Far East by Marco polo. True. :p

16. willie45

Perhaps but did you know that boaking was a Scottish invention and a tradition which survives to this day?

17. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Even the "dry boakes" As in " I don't fancy you, you give me the dry boakes"

18. willie45

Quite so ;)

Boaking is a popular pastime in the West of Scotland, especially at weekends and I'd guess peaks around 11.30pm on a Saturday night, although the aforementioned dry boakes are more common in the mornings or at other times where the senses aren't clouded :)

19. willie45

Now, I believe I've made a schoolboy error here. I'm sure the spelling of the word should be "boke". In my defence I've said and heard it said thousands of times but rarely ( if ever ) seen it written.

20. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Correct, and I've done my fair share over the years.