1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAW + JPEG: why?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by PentaxManiac, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Oughtn't that last comment have been "I'm not a WINDOWS PC ONLY person" ? ;)

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Then you need to get with evolution then, Alex! [​IMG]

Language evolves. The adjective 'plastic' originally referred to any material that is easily shaped. Ask anyone in the the here and now what first comes to mind when they hear the word and they'll be thinking along the lines of polymers.

While not all change betters a language, today's common usage of "PC" does as adds a level of clarification that the original meaning lacked.

3. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

There's a worrying trend here - I find myself agreeing with Barney again ;)

I know that 'technically', a PC covers any personal computer, whether Windows, Mac or Linux based.

But common accepted use now has 'Mac' as an Apple Macintosh based PC; 'PC' as a Microsoft Windows based PC.

Anything else normally requires a clarifying tag - e.g. I refer to my own machine as a 'Linux PC' (or an 'Ubuntu PC', if the audience is likely to know the difference :) )

It's like Hoover (the brand) versus 'hoover' (the commonly accepted term for a vacuum cleaner) - I wouldn't dream of saying "I'm vacuuming" or "I'm Dysoning" (My wife would say I wouldn't dream of hoovering either!! ;)

4. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Ian is the closest here IMHO.

PC has to have been an IBM term - and now common usage has adopted the term for derivatives of the same platform as espoused by Windows machines.

Mac took off as graphics computers - and developed as a home computer as Steve Jobs recognised a market for people who didn't want to by home IT managers and to wrestle with an operating system that inevitably sludged itself to a standstill, and supported obsolescence as more and more memory was required just to run the OS. So called future proofed PC's further helped the Mac concept as new memory formats and amounts became incompatible with the mother boards.

I like Mac better having had both types. But Apple will need to work hard post Steve Jobs not to throw the baby out with the bath water - dropping the built in Supadrive and concepts that make you pay for everything through iTunes are not a good start.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I agree - when I see a computer described as PC then I take it to mean a desktop computer running windows. If folk have a mac they like to tell you they have a mac :cool:

Anyway, back to the RAW + JPEG shooting.....I only know one amateur who shoots both because he can't be bothered to convert RAWs unless he isn't happy with the JPEG the camera produced.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There really is little point is shooting raw and jpeg unless you have an immediate need for jpeg images, such as for use on an electronic picture frame. That said you can usually batch process raw files to jpeg using software supplied with your camera. This speeds up the in camera processing time, and thus improves battery life, as well as allowing some parameters of the conversion to be set by the user.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I can see now, and am kicking myself that I didn't at the time, a good reason for shooting raw and JPEG when covering the school's sports day.

I could have put the small coarse JPEGs straight on the network without hogging too much space and keeping the raw "negs" on my computer.

That way people could look at the "contact sheets" and say "could I have such and such photos" then I could pull the raws into DPP and run them off 16 bit TIFFS.

Everybody wins.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

With my current digital I'm shooting both. The in-camera processing does a much better job of correcting distortion than LR5b. If the distortion is easily corrected I'll use the raw, but at least I have a workable jpg for emergencies.

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

It's now becoming even more specific by creepage: PC can be used to denote a tower or cased or floor-stander or under desk system. PC has to have Desktop added as prenom to denote the iMac:pC clones and then you have to add 'Small form' if its in a case like a PC (that is a tower or cased or floor-stander or under desk) but it doesn't stop there as you have to denote whether your PC may also actually be a laptop, a tablet or a hand-held/palm device.

Ain't life complicated. My brain aches. I think I'll go and lie down. :eek:

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Most people running Apple software will state iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone etc. Users of Windows usually just say PC or Laptop. Linux users let everyone else assume and then come out and tell us they use Linux later in the discussion.

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oooh, I'm not rich enough to know about thaaat. ;):eek:

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I think the opposite is the case. These days the desktop computer is more likely to be a family computer. The personal computers of the 21st century are smart phones and tablets.

13. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

I disagree Barney, I know lots of families and in general in younger homes it seems that each child over 5 or 6 has their own computer/tablet and the parents share a desktop/laptop, more often a laptop. In older peoples homes a single computer seems to suffice the households need and usually it's a laptop, I've also noted that even a single email address seems to be shared in these circumstances.

It seems to me the desktop seems to be becoming the domain of serious computing type people, wether it be graphics or gaming regardless of being a mac or pc.

Regards
    Ian

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

So you're disagreeing by confirming what I said?

You only have to look at operating systems allowing multiple log-in accounts to see how computers are designed to be a shared resource.

Laptops can be either or, phones and tablets however are truly personal computers.

15. ianwaite

I don't think so. You seem to be saying most homes have a desktop which everyone shares, forgive me if thats not what your saying. I visit many homes and in general thats not the case, especially in homes with kids/several people. In older peoples homes it seems to be the case that they share a computer, but more often than not it's not a desktop but a laptop. This bares out if you go into PC world now and look how many more laptops are for sale than there was five/ten years ago, in general people don't see a need for a desktop when laptops will do the same, but you can use it on your knee, on a table, in the front room or the kitchen etc. etc. etc.

Regards
    Ian

16. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I suggest you reread what I wrote. I'm not suggesting that most homes have a desktop at all, I'm saying that of those homes that do, it is most likely to be a computer shared by the family. This tends to be the case even when kids have their own laptops, smart phones and tablets - the desktop, or when there is no desktop there is often a laptop which serves the same purpose, that the family uses for printing out, as a hub for media files, when they can't be arsed going upstairs for their own laptop/smartphone/tablet.

Which in itself justifies my claim that the desktop is no longer the personal computer it used to be.

17. ianwaite

Maybe were just agreeing from different angles then ;)

Ian

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

As long as they're the right angles, then we'll be okay. Geddit? Right angles! Where's me coat? :eek::):D

19. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Use of language, operating systems, photography file systems. This thread has it all :)

I can't see the point of having RAW and jpeg for amateur shooting.

I only ever shoot RAW unless I'm at an event producing small prints when I only ever shoot jpeg. I never shoot both but if I was shooting a wedding and had a camera with two card slots ( I don't ) I would use one for RAW and back up the images as jpegs on the second. My logic would be RAW is superior but a jpeg is a reasonable back up if the RAW card goes belly up.

I'm sure someone will want to correct my use of upper case for RAW and lower case for jpeg while we're at it.

Re the PC/Mac thing I agree that PC means a non-Mac ermmm PC ;) I also much prefer Macs.

I also feel a bit pis*ed off that I've been awake since 5.40am this miserable Monday morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I'm even more pis*ed off that I've resorted to trawling internet forums to keep me reasonably occupied until it's time to go to work. What would I have done 20 years ago before PCs - and Macs eh? ( ermm I have a pretty good idea and it isn't fit for discussion on the forum :) )

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

20 years ago I had a Mac running Mac OS 7 with a 14.4 modem and premium rate phone numbers for the "web"......

.....my parents once went on holiday and came back to a £200 phone bill :eek:

Getting up early could have been expensive back then! ;)