1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rare Nikon F... yours for £1/4 million

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Mar 13, 2013.

1. jimemo

jimemo Member

look quickly it will soon disappear into the scrap pile, no longer listed on the dealer site or the Japanese site, ask the experts about this one. everything on the camera does not look right, including the white paint. it's just to white, it should be yellowed if it were original white paint.

2. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

They should lend it out, well publicized, once a year to a photographer celebrity, and sell the prints for £250,000 each.

3. jimemo

jimemo Member

would shooting with a fake black camera, help improve anyone's photo ability?

4. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

You joined up just to tell us about this camera?

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Have YOU asked the experts? It is considered that Grays are experts! Or do we have a case of the average internet pundit who presents their views as being cast-iron unarguable fact?

The condition of the paint would partly be down to the storage conditions the camera has experienced, if kept in a dark dry area rather than a lit location.

6. jimemo

jimemo Member

I did ask the experts, and they say it is a fake, by the way gray's pulled the listing and so did japan camera hunter, also if you look at camera (even ones stored for the past 50 years) the whites have yellowed. due to additives used in the 50's and 60's.

someone is trying to cheat collectors, maybe this forum is not the best place to stop people from being cheated, but even a big camera auction house sold a early black nikon a couple years ago that turned out to be a fake

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

surely a case of buyer beware....

8. jimemo

jimemo Member

from the face book forum on Nikon F cameras!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I've just recieved an email from Bellamy Hunt (Japan Camera Hunter) about body number 77.
    It is now a confirmed fake both in England and Japan.

"I work very very hard to find the best and I (in fact several of us) got hoodwinked. This cost me not only a great deal of money but I feel like I failed the community by allowing something like this to get further down the market chain.
    I have been working very hard to find out the culprit. I have spoken to all of the traders that I know in Japan. All they can tell me is that there are a few of these cameras, they have conned even seasoned traders, and they are originating from possibly Osaka. We take the business of forgery very very seriously here and I am going to do my damnedest to try and find out who this person is.
    I was told something very interesting though the other day. One trader mentioned that when he was a child he used to walk past the Nikon factory in Tokyo and there would be zero security. Camera bodies (pre assembly) were left out in the sun to dry out after being sprayed with solvents to remove grease. He said that anyone could have come and just taken anything they wanted, which is probably where the parts have come from." - Bellamy Hunt."

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Anything mechanical can be disassembled and re-assembled. This problem now afflicting cameras is not new in the world. Old cars, especially classic racing cars, often became duplicated as engines and chassis became separated and spares or replacements were built up, often quite innocently - in the case of race cars - and sold on - again, quite innocently, for ever increasing sums of money.

This appears to have been a deliberate bit of fakery with the intent to defraud which is always a problem when there is big money out there, a relatively small number of people have too much, too many have too little, and the rich have not enough things to spend their money on!

Tulip bulb, anyone? ;)

Sad situation the world has got itself into. :(

10. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

It's disappointing that it turned out to be a fake and may put at risk the surprising number of £5000 to £8000 Nikons appearing in Grays of Westminster's used price list.

In a smaller way eBay has a sub-culture of people who canabalise lenses and bodies and make one item up from several junkers. Selling it the with serial no 750856521 (say) visible is not honest in my opinion - because it isn't that lens or body - it's a bitsa.

In support of this I had to send back a lens to an eBay seller purporting to be a Nikon 28 f/2.8 AIS. This lens is a classic built to a no compromise standard. What I got had grease oozing from it (no grease was used in this lens), a plastic aperture ring with the wrong colour markings (should have been metal), and mount screws with damaged heads.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, I think that's made it a much more interesting story overall.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

In fairness the bulk of ebay sellers are honest enough, but a seller selling items like this can lead to the honest majority being tarred with the same brush.

13. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I've got John Wilkes Booth's camera somewhere.. The one he used to take a pic of him doing 'rabbit ears' to President Abraham Lincoln before he shot him. [​IMG][​IMG]

14. jimemo

jimemo Member

camera number 77 was not on ebay, it was found in Japan, and brought to Grey's for the market impact. Mainly because Nikon cameras were nit sold in Europe before 1970. they were sold as Nikkor cameras. due to a conflict with Zeiss Ikon. just on a side note. nikon F 6400064 just find itself to the market as a black camera, again this camera is also a fake black camera. the chrome camera is shown in Nikon literature published in 1959

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Nobody has stated or implied that it had been on ebay. The references to the auction site were in relation to other items.