1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rare Nikon F... yours for £1/4 million

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Mar 13, 2013.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

This is coming from a Nikon fan - ABSOLUTELY BONKERS!

G of W still have the two F Apollo's for £5000 and £6500 - and they haven't sold.

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree. This is a sample product so very rare.

Many articles would have been written on the basis of handling one of these pre-production example.

Also it one of the first Fs. The Apollos are later versions.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Bearing in mind my posting name (& predilictions!;):eek:) ...

... it does look rather nice. :D

Although far from mint if the photo is accurate. Is that some wear I see in the paintwork?

Think Grays may be trying it on, rather, just to see if someone with loadsamoney will go for it while getting their name 'out there'. Why not?

5. thornrider

Its a fair point you make - but £250,000 ?

My wife says I can't have it - so that's that. But it would have had to have been owned by at least Tutenkhamen for that money - and to have been serial number ending 01.:)

6. 0lybacker

LOL :D

Is that before or after Henri Cartier-Bresson, Tulisa, David Bailey, Elvis, Ansel Adams, Edward Weston AND Imogen Cunningham, any Pope out of 199 ...

:D

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Totally silly money! Some people are obviously getting bonuses so bloated they have great difficulty in spending them ... could I suggest respectfully that they be housed in a place of safety (let's call it a jail) and charged £100,000 a day for their accommodation until their wallets & purses have been suitably deflated.

8. thornrider

It doesn't come with a lens - 18-55 kit lens a good match ?

9. 0lybacker

Yep, but if you are an Indonesian photo-fanatic and you have three or four gas wells sitting in your family land or just off-shore, then it makes sense to buy some appreciating assets! ;)

Plus the good ol' £ ain't worth what it used to be ... :(

*** That actually did happen not long before 2007. Agents in London were saying 'We have people with money to spend and no suitable property'. One story went around that some lad with a £1/2m bonus already had umpteen cars, several properties - for his use - dotted around the world, that he went and bought a street of terraced houses somewhere.

10. 0lybacker

Nah! 50mm f1.4 ribbed (or is it ridged or milled) grip Nikkor!! {Pls ref to another Thread!;):D}

11. P_Stoddart

"The £250,000 pricetag includes a rare 'Tick Mark' 50mm f/2 Nikkor-S lens, worth around £900, adds the store."

18-55mm kit lens is really designed for a crop sensor. Not 35mm full frame. :p

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

and is not contemporary to the camera which cannot control its aperture.
    The price is not stupid if someone is prepared to pay it. The true price of anything is the price reached at a well publicised auction. I am not bidding.

13. thornrider

You're right of course on reflection.

I would much rather have that camera than any of the following for the same price :-

Ferrari

Holiday cottage

Fletcher powerboat

University education for 5 people

etc etc

14. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Some (but not me) might say perversions! :p;)

15. Vlad_Soare

Vlad_Soare Well-Known Member

If it's the earliest, pre-production version, then how come its serial number is 6400077? I would expect it to be 00000001 or thereabouts... :D

Edit: oh, I think I got it. The 64 has a different meaning altogether. There were one hundred pre-production cameras, and this one is the 77th of them. Right?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  16. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Maybe the first 76 didn't work ... ;-)

Seriously - never expect a serial number to contain much information, unless you have access to the engineer's version catalogue.

17. P_Stoddart

Found this. :)

http://www.destoutz.ch/typ_production_data_f.html

Seems to confirm it is the 1959 first run item.

It seems to also confirm the first one was indeed 6400001

Which I suspect is a worth millions. :)

18. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

If you watched more than ten minutes of comic relief last night...they would have you believe that £5 saves a life..... so you could buy an old camera that you couldnt use or save the lives of 50000 kids. What a choice...

Graeme

19. 0lybacker

Hmmmn. :confused: Can original great design and engineering be, in itself, perverted? ;)

:D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  20. 0lybacker

Good post. Although it can be hard to accept that fact, when an £XX million footballer cannot hit a shot on target, let alone score goals. :rolleyes:

I occasionally drool a little over little things like a Leica M6 in titanium finish with 50mm Summicron or Summilux to suit :eek:, and so on, but have to remind myself that, new in its lovely box it ceases to be as soon as my fingerprints have soiled it, the batteries and first film have been loaded and the first exposure made.