1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rare Japanese Leica Clone

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by John King, Mar 28, 2017.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever seen, handled or even used a Leica type camera with a 39mm screw thread body with a rangefinder made in Japan around 1960. It was called 'Honor'. I saw one in a long gone camera shop in Newcastle called Bonsers around 1963 when I was just starting to get my teeth into photography.

This one I think was olive green and had a 50mm F1.8 lens. I lusted after it, but my pay at the time would have hardly paid for the box. There is mention of various 'Honor' models on the web if you search Honor 35mm Cameras, but since that time in the early 60's I have never seen another for sale anywhere.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. John King

4. Andrew Flannigan

Might be chrome rot. I had a Retina 1B where a lot of the chrome had aquired a green tinge. I don't know what caused it and it depended on the light angle as to whether the top plate looked silver or green. I think you can just make out the different colour of the chrome between the meter cell and the viewfinder in this picture.

[​IMG]

5. John King

I don't think it was 'chrome rot'. (whatever that is) The camera was brand new when I saw it back in 1963. The colour as I remember it, was very similar to that of the Leice R3 'Safari' version.

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

eBay item
    162258614171 ?

7. Andrew Flannigan

£2,640.40!
    Roger Hicks made a lovely comment* on "classic camera" prices a few years ago to the effect that one reason they get high is that the camera was so bad when new that they couldn't sell that many so they're now rare. I wonder if that's reflected in this price?

* back page of a Christmas issue.

8. John King

That is one of the early ones from the middle 50's and according to estimated collectors price - AKA - value, it is about twice the price it would be expected to fetch. I don't think I will bother.
    There is very little information about this camera and it's later models, the price may be reflected in it's rarity rather than it's quality. If as it was suggested in one of the earlier links it was based upon Canon rangefinder models it should be reasonable (Unless it was assembled by a team of Chimpanzees using a hammer and a blunt screwdiver!)