1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Railway Photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SXH, Jul 31, 2017.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

You must have the meths left then, obviously:D
    I had a junior chemistry set powered by meths...lovely smell,I leave the best meths story to Mrs S...
    Her father was a Scout Leader and took his young son to camp. He'd always advised the scouts that they shouldn't tell tales about each other.The brother who we shall call Damien for the point of this story decided to drink one of those hexagonal bottles of meths. Young scout went to see Skip to avail him that young Damien (aged about 4) had finished the contents of the bottle and was rather inebriated. Skip was busy with another scout and before the bearer of good tidings could get his story out he chastised him for telling tales, at which point said lad said something along the lines of "well if he's poorly after drinking all of the meths it's not my fault cos I did try to tell you"
    Cue one trip to the local hospital for a bit of stomach pumping...

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hope they got to him in time, the stuff they put in meths is supposed to make ingestion virtually impossible.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Yes he's fine some fifty or sixty years later....

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

To quote another Charles, "There is grandeur in this view..."

I was once a keen train-spotter, and would take my trusty Coronet TLR (the one with two view finders, for portrait and landscape) to 'Exeter, Exeter, Exeter St. David's' to photograph the trains, engines and drivers, all for the price of a 1d platform ticket. When diesel-electric engines started to come in, I got quite excited, and even made special trips when one was coming through. Then I had that 'WTF' moment. I woke up and smelt the coffee. I had a 'road to Damascus' enlightenment*. Why am I watching these glorified busses on rails? There was no majesty of the King's class locomotives, no genius of the Walschaerts valve gear, and certainly no drama in their passage. Just tubes with engines in.

I took up chasing girls instead.

* Did I overstate my case, over egg the pudding, or belabour my point too much? :D

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Meths, if I remember aright, is largely ethanol with a bit of methanol and some unpleasant smelling colouring. Ingestion perfectly possible, it's just the after-effects include blindness and death if you have enough.

S

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Some other quite nasty additives according to this. :eek:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

In context it has to be remembered that this was nearly 60 years ago...perhaps the nasties weren't as nasty then:confused:

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think the additives (responsible for the colour) are meant to induce vomiting.

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

To get back on topic, herewith some Railway photographs on the Swanage railway 828.jpg
    S15 class 828 dropping bback to couple with a train of freoght stock

30053.jpg
    Ex LSWR M7 class 30053 running round its train at Norden

34028.jpg
    West Country class 34028 at Corfe Castle

sdjr88.jpg
    Ex S&DJR 7F class 88, exchanging the single line token at Harman's Cross

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And a brand spanking new EMU coming into Staines...

[​IMG]Class 707 entering Staines station by Steve Higgins, on Flickr

Shame the new franchisee will be getting rid of them all. Mind you it is a bit of a naff design - no way of having a connecting tunnel between sets when you have a multiple-set train, which most of the services through Staines are.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I have a serious soft spot for 34028 Eddystone. In 1990 I camped at the Sellinge steam rally in Kent, and she was there as a vast kit of parts. I offered to help the chap laying out parts on display, and ended up moving the three sets of driving wheels on a bit of track!

Adrian

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

A pair of what I think are Class 158 Express Sprinters at Leeds Station early on a June morning with a HST125 just visible on the extreme right.

SonyR1_05631.JPG

SXH likes this.
  13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We no longer have passenger trains in this part of New Zealand. What we have is Dunedin Railways, a tourist operation owned by a trust, and the Dunedin city council. Our railways here are 3' 6" gauge, and the rolling stock is ex New Zealand Railways, some of it quite old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images taken with a range of ancient film cameras.

14. Doug Thompson

Doug Thompson New Member

You can't beat a steam engine for nostalgia , here is Metropolitan No 1 on the North Norfolk Railway image.jpeg

15. Andrew Flannigan

Nostalgia? I thought the finest thing in the world was the first DMU I saw - straight out of the pages of The Eagle. That was more than 50 years ago and I'll still take a diesel or electric train over any steam bucket.

PC050012.JPG

16. Doug Thompson

Doug Thompson New Member

Electric are soulless beasts wouldn't give you a quid for one, there's only one Diesel that's a class 55 Deltic two thirty six cylinder Napier two stroke Diesels hauling you out of KX on the way to the North East

17. Andrew Flannigan

Everyone is entitled to their view. ;)

18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A Deltic was certainly an acoustic experience as well as the distinctive aroma of the exhaust smoke. I must admit to rather liking Class 87 electric locos.

19. Doug Thompson

Doug Thompson New Member

They were very acoustic if you were trying to get the train heating boiler to keep firing all the way to Newcastle at a 100mph
    Even more fun was taking it for refuelling at KX , sitting on the buffers waiting for the green light to take us in to Copenhagen tunnel , as soon as we got the green whacking the controller open and filling the canopy with Diesel fumes as we were thrown back in the seats accelerating up the platform, those were the days.

20. Andrew Flannigan

...when everything was dirty and smelly. :D