1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Railway Photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SXH, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching "Tornado...". Pretty sure it was my first viewing of it, but I've certainly seen the "Flying Scotsman" or parts of it, several times.

2. John Worsnop

John Worsnop In the Stop Bath

Blood and custard was LMS. Great Way Round was chocolate and cream.

3. John Worsnop

4. John Worsnop

As a user of dirty and slow steam trains in olden days I was glad to see them packed off to museums.
    I like to take photos of working preserved steam trains and sometimes wonder why. Nostalgia for long lost teenage years ?
    I wonder why people pay lots of money to travel nowhere in particular behind a steam engine when the only benefit is to see smoke and steam passing your window when it is free to see them working for nothing from the line side.

5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Blood and custard was early British Rail, later BR Southern was Green, Midland & N E maroon Western brown and cream BR late 60s on was Blue on suburban stock, Blue and grey on other in pre BR days LMS was crimson lake

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I was always a diesel and electric fan and could never see the fascination of steam engines.

Panasonic TZ40 1000441.JPG

SXH likes this.
  7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The Tornado, which has been mentioned in this thread, will be running on the East Lancs Railway in late March and early April next year - which means it'll be steaming past my office window. At the moment we seem to be getting the City of Wells and the Union of South Africa in equal measure.

I'm not a particular fan of trains - steam, diesel or electric - but the drivers sometimes wave to us and blow their whistle if we're outside having a cigarette when they go past, which is nice of them.

Cheers, Jeff

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If nobody paid money to travel on them, there would not be any to see for free from the lineside!:rolleyes:

Trannifan likes this.
  10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Anyone who travels on the Jacobean from Fort William to Mallaig will know just how amazing a steam train can be.
    I used to hate old tech when I was young, but, like many, the fact that I can see a living breathing conversion of heat and water into powerful movement is something I find amazing.

11. AndyTake2

Nowhere?? Nowhere??:eek:
    Fort William to Mallaig. Gobsmacking scenery which will have you crying for the fact that you can't stop and take pics, and then to Mallaig for some gorgeous seafood. It is a regular run on regular trains if you want to just go there, but on the Jacobean? a whole new (old) ballgame....and those langoustines...mmmm..:)

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

North York Moors...Pickering to Whitby

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Try the Jacobite.

Another scenic route which sees steam on a fairly regular basis is the Settle & Carlisle line.

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

West Somerset- Minehead to Williton

15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Swanage to Corfe Castle & Norden park and ride.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

17. AndyTake2

Jacobite....err yeah, that's what I meant

Must lern too spel:D

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Jeff,

You were clearly on the wrong line. Dirty? A bit, on the outside: a cinder in the eye was never a pleasant experience. Slow? Not on the GWR. And if you can't see the beauty of a steam train, I'd be suspicious of your ability to see beauty in anything. I think the last steam train I took was a "Toy Train" out of Darjeeling. I can only just understand the appeal of something like the SKLR (Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway) but it sure as hell beats watching television.

But then, my late father was a steam engineer, and the steam recips on warships were wonderful to see. As are beam engines. And traction engines. And...

Cheers,

R.

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the Mamod steam engines powered by meths...

20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yes, I used to have one. Still got a bit of it left somewhere

I can smell it now.