1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Railway Photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SXH, Jul 31, 2017.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

For those of you interested in that sort of thing, the 120th Anniversary edition of The Railway Magazine has a 32 page railway photography supplement, entitled Taking a Different Approach. Of course, it's quite possible that 'those of you interested in that sort of thing' already have the magazine. However...

It's quite interesting. Mainly composed of pictures, some of which are quite good, imo. Captions tend to be just identification, but the 'alternativeness' of the images is generally fairly obvious.

My railway pictures tend to be record shots, the nearest I've come to an alternative view is probably...
    Class-66.jpg
    Class 66 in waiting

...and that's only because he sat at the end of the platform for some reason and I only had my pocket camera with me.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The sooner we return to steam the better I say. :)

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

In which case, you my find my new thread in the Web Sites of Interest sub-forum to be, errr, of interest?

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Horrible, dirty things. Electric is best but even the howl of an Intercity 125 is better than the filth of a steam loco. Apart from that though they're fine ;)

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The problem with electrification is that the lineside equipment is vulnerable to infrastructure faults in the case of overhead electrification and third-rail DC is not really suitable for longer distance applications, as well as having an open live-rail just above ground level. When did you last hear an IC125? They certainly don't howl with the MTU engines which are now fitted to VTEC, FGW, Cross-Country and Grand Central sets, a muted growl is all they make. These are however more economical in fuel consumption and lower in emissions than the original Paxman engines.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I think, from the programmes about British railways I've seen on Quest, one of the major problems is the number of nutters willing to risk death to steal all the cabling! :eek:

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Why not go for the following compromise? - Clad diesel-electric and electric trains so they look like steam locos, fitted out with a massively over-sized Vape in the chimney with vents near the wheels. The smoke & stream effects could be 'pulsed', whilst electonically-generated sounds could be produced which match the output of the artificial smoke and steam ... I'll probably be labelled a 'Heretic' for proposing this!

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Heretic!

Cheers, Jeff

9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Does anyone know at what times the steam-drawn Leeds to Carlisle train goes over the Ribblehead Viaduct?

I have just spend over 10 minutes looking for the answer on Google without success. The official timetable doesn't give any of the timings within the three hours(!) between Skipton and Carlisle and none of the blogs etc that turned up had answers.

I did discover that there is a reputedly excellent pub next to the station so, if all else fails, I'll enquire within.

10. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Herewith some steam locos

828.jpg

30053.jpg

34028.jpg

sdjr88.jpg

41312.jpg

SXH likes this.
  12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thinking about the bolded bit, I checked - according to the always-correct Wiki, SWT run 3rd rail trains (444 EMUS and some 450s) from Waterloo as far as Portsmouth and Weymouth. And there was apparently talk of running them from London to Norwich.

Having said that, there is an item in the magazine that states that the new franchisees are replacing the 455/6/8 sets and also the brand new 707s - bought by Stagecoach just before they lost the franchise! No mention of the 444s or 450s.

My pleasure. :cool:

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Back at the original subject...

The picture on the back of the supplement is this one, which I rather like.

According to the BBC article that is linked to, she was sixteen when she took the pic. According to the supplement, "The photographer had ordered breakfast, the train ran early..."

It's amazing what teenagers can eat for breakfast. I wish I still could. :(

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It looks totally set up to me.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That shot breaks a few 'rules of composition' but it sure works.

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Wonderful, not all that dirty, things! I agree that, environmentally, you can't run the rail network with them but the few we have left are just wonderful.

18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes thanks. But last year I took SWMBO on the steam train from Buckfastleigh to Totnes and she simply couldn't believe any sane person would choose to travel that way. As Philistine as Andrew I'm afraid. I went on to Paignton to see the old Devon Belle that used to pass us in Chivenor, but she found other things to do.

19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I have that problem as well.

She can't understand anyone having even the remotest interest at all.

S

20. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I was lucky, my late wife enjoyed steam railways almost as much as I. We spent one weekend "doing" the Mid Hants, Romney Hythe and Dymchurch and Bluebell; another time on a camping holiday we did Talyllyn, Carnforth, Keighley and Worth Valley, Embsay, North York moors and York museum, we also did the Bodmin and East Somerset and being local for us a fair few visits to the Swanage.

On the Carnforth visit she was almost ecstatic at getting into the cab of Flying Scotsman, being a Southern fan I was less happy as Lord Nelson was out trunndling round the Cumbrian "mountains"