1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racist or overly PC people getting upset .....

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Done_rundleCams, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

unnecessarily ...

I posted this photo I shot this past October on Facebook with a majority of the respondents
    being upset at the rudeness / racist appearance of the girl(s) in the photo whilst a few people stated the other were just overreacting. It was taken just at the arch/entrance in the Vancouver's Chinatown.

What say all (or some) of you?

Oct1-17-AP-Sun-JS047798 copy (1).jpg

Cheers,

Jack

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think my Chinese friend would be appalled. It's not in the same league as deciding to dress up as a character from The Mikado for Halloween - this is making fun of a physical attribute enjoyed by a race of people. So it's racist. Would we be questioning it if there was a photograph of someone making a 'rubber lips' face outside an African village? No. We'd know it was unacceptable.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's the sort of thing silly youngsters do. With any luck they grow up and later feel a twinge of embarrassment if and when they recall the moment. The problem will come if the photo is seen by people who know the girl. Then she'll be pursued by bullies in the name of political correctness which is the reason P.C. has such a bad reputation.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Wait until she's appointed Canadian Ambassador to the People's Republic....

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It's an appalling photo - the vertical are miles off!....:D

There's a depressing tendency on the various antisocial media platforms to excessively froth at the mouth (and the keyboard) at the slightest thing the corespondent dislikes or disagrees with (look at some the rows we get on here). In this instance there's no doubt about a considerable degree of disrespect being shown. Whether it's deliberately malicious or unthinking stupidity is neither here nor there, it should attract negative comment. That's not to say that there's any need for the kind of over the top ranting that I suspect was subsequently posted though.

jimh, RovingMike and Done_rundleCams like this.
  6. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure thoughtlessness and racism are not the same. Neither is rudeness or silliness.

Is the girl suggesting that Chinese eye shape is inferior?
    Is she oppressing Chinese people?
    Is she discriminating against Chinese people?
    Is she showing prejudice towards Chinese people?
    Is she showing antagonism to Chinese people?

I'm going to guess not.

The fact that some people are upset is not necessarily relevant.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

and the white buildings are burnt out.

As for the PC concerns. Who really cares what these silly little girls think?

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Surely this is the old joke, "Mummy! Mummy! You've tied my pigtails too tight!"

Cheers,

R.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To quote Eric Idle's distinctly non-PC lyrics "There's nine hundred million of them in the world today. You'd better learn to like them; that's what I say".

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think it's terrible. Those cheap selfie sticks are rubbish, that phone is going to end up on the deck any minute.

11. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

And you see this as a disadvantage?

Cheers,

R.

12. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Of course it's going to upset people. It's rude and racist. Think not? Imagine having to take a trip back there while you walk around Chinatown for an hour or so pulling the same face while your friend laughs along. I very much doubt you'll have many folk laughing along with you.

I'd like to see some of the comments posted in response.

13. Done_rundleCams

This should take to the post of FB .... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....348446960400.337462.834770400&type=3&theater

Cheers,

Jack

14. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Can't access it I'm afraid. I'm guessing there's some abuse thrown in. Which I always find daft. Criticise someone for causing upset by hurling abuse at them.

15. Done_rundleCams

These are some of the responses ....

Jack

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Yep, that's about the level of intelligent debate I'd expect form social(?) media...:cool:

17. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Two girls having a giggle while taking selfies, is all I see, I bet they have had a great day out somewhere in the world and they have pictures to prove it. Enjoy life......

18. Roger Hicks

Enjoy life... and while you're at it, try to think a bit about how other people feel. Am I offended by this picture? No. Do I think that what the girls were doing is in poor taste? Yes.

EDIT: Nor are my feelings anything new. My parents would have been pretty annoyed if I had behaved like this in front of Chinese people. I grew up in racist times, but more than once my parents pointed out that it was not on to be disrespectful in public to e.g. the Maltese in the 1950s or the Scots in the 1960s (my father was in the Royal Navy, so we lived in both places before I was 12).

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 5:00 PM
  19. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Errr, as Normally sit in my lounge with my wife in the evenings listening to the radio or catching a glimps of the news, I often reach for my small smart phone and catch up with the forum on A. P. Thats where I first viewed the picture of the two girls, I had to check again in case I missed anything, indeed I had, I did not realise that the two girls/young women were in the Chinese quarter somewhere in the world and I have to confess that yes I can understand why people could be upset about the picture, I really must get into the habit of viewing pictures like this and the comments on a larger monitor. Further to my post the picture does not really upset me and I dont really think the two girls gave enough thought of what they were doing at the time....but it certainly looked that they were enjoying their time there..............

20. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I agree pretty much with what you say, Roger. I was brought up similarly ( except for respecting the Scots, whom we generally knew were all bastards :))

What does seem to have changed is the extraordinary capacity for people to be offended on behalf of others and most importantly, to take offence at, and apportion blame for, the fact that they feel offended.

What would be considered to be silly or bad manners and would have elicited a "tut" of disapproval seems to result in unbelievable vilification of the "perpetrator". Generally, there is no allowance made for age, inexperience or other mitigating factors as witnessed by the occasional idiocy of a young child being excluded from school or punished for sexism or racism or some ism or another.

I don't want to go back to the old days when intolerance and bullying was largely ignored but when we overreact we're just giving fuel to the fire of the real enemies of liberalism and tolerance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM