1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet in here - what about the new MX then?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by AlexMonro, Jan 24, 2013.

1. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Looks like there haven't been any new threads here for about a month, so, what do people think of the new "retro style" MX compact that Pentax announced at CES a couple of weeks ago?

Personally, I think they should've taken a hint from Fuji's success with the X series, and added a viewfinder,

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

As someone who practically worships the "real" MX, I'm disgusted by the name. The camera looks OK, though.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Looks like a half decent camera. Which is a shame as the name deserves a thoroughly decent one.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Agree with all the above and, once I have a fiddle, I
    am (seriously?) thinking of picking one up to use as a 'wide angle' companion to my Q and 06 lens :)

Of course, I am, also, considering a K30 and a K-01 along with the only 'guaranteed' item ..... the "K to Q adapter" :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Oh hell I'm just about to agree with Nick. The old MX was so good that this is like stealing other names like "E-Type", GTO, etc. Heinous crime.

6. AlexMonro

Funnily enough, I've been vaguely toying with the idea of getting a real MX - my ME Super is a bit too electrickery for me - I can never remember which buttons to press to increase or decrease shutter speed...

Either an MX or possibly a K1000.

7. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The lens on these, which is known already, is actually an excellent lens. Add Pentax SMC coating and Pentax processing and we have something that interests me. I won't be an early adpoter, but as soon as the price falls I will be there ready to buy.

Something will have to go to finance it, but I do have a reservoir of lenses some of which are rarely used, so we'll see!

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Twas my camera of choice back in the day, loved it, sorry I ever sold it. Although I guess I can pick one up for less than I sold mine for.

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Craig,

You would hope so, but it's (kind of) a cult camera.
    Nothing like the Leica M series, mind you, but ...... ;)

I have a silver body MX that has the pentaprism bashed in by a car backing over it and a pi$$ed off
    (subject of a photo) person bashing it over my head .... Never sell it
    Got a mint condition Black body and winder ... sell it, sure :). No personal attachment ;)

cheers,

Jack

10. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

The new MX compact? Certainly I'm in the market for a new compact, especially if it really is compact. But my only experience to date with a Pentax digital compact has been far from happy - the Optio I-10, which brings the digital platform to lomography, as in shoot and hope but don't expect much.

Then again, the retro Fuji compact tempts me, but some say the lens housing is too flimsy. Or the Fuji X10 is dropping in price now it's been superceded, but that, some say, has globular blown highlight problems. Or I notice that Ffordes are doing the Leica V Lux 30 at more or less half price (i.e. what the identical Panasonic version costs anyway!). Decisions, decisions.

11. AlexMonro

I believe that Fuji announced they'd fixed the X10's "orbs" problem with a revised sensor design about a year ago, and DPR did some testing and reported it seemed to work It's probably my no. 1 on the shortlist should I find I need another compact.

I don't think I've ever been very impressed by any of the Pentax compacts. :(