1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick way to cut pensions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Terrywoodenpic, Jun 10, 2019.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

In a nutshell.

2. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Really? Many people would consider this statement to be mean-spirited and ill-considered.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

For once I think Learning's right. Any system which works on thresholds will have that effect. Of course you might argue that a better system would allow for gradual phasing in of such benefits or even provide the recipients with sufficient cash that they could pay the licence fee. Good luck getting such a change through a parliament dominated by the Oxbridge mafia and their cronies. :rolleyes:

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

What seems to escape so many commentators on this forum is that we have a government that chose to penalise the poorer classes in our country for the criminal behaviour of financial crooks who brought us the 2008 crash. The imposition of austerity with its consequent impoverishment of our social structures leading to government spending cuts: Local government spending cuts; schools' budget cuts, cuts to the NHS, cuts to police, ambulance services etc., etc., under the iniquitous guise of "we're all in it together" has had a devastating effect on British society and behaviour. We were divided before Brexit - a stupid political decision which has not only served to distract attention from government failings, but which inevitably has turned us against each other in way that, ultimately could bring civil chaos. It also serves certain political interests to pitch one group against another (divide and rule), and cause younger members of society to take umbrage against the older section of society, which is where we came in. There is a possibility that if this 'divide-and-rule tactic has its possible outcome it may event result in people waving placards saying: "Get rid of the elderly?"

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yes.

Pitting group against group is a well tried political trick and plenty of people have noticed it...

Learning likes this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Watching Boris - I really need some new adjectives... I think the neighbours have had their fill of my current one!!

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Absolutely My bad, the change came under Osborne and the Conservative government

The policy of free TV licences for the over-75s was introduced in 1999 by the then Labour chancellor, Gordon Brown, and it was agreed that the cost of providing this universal benefit should be paid by the Department of Work and Pensions to the BBC.

But from June 2020, the BBC will be responsible for implementing the fee, currently £154.50 for a standard licence, or £52 for black and white TV sets.

However, as part of the 2015 licence fee and charter negotiation, the Conservative Government struck a deal that would see the responsibility for payment of this benefit no longer be that of the government but instead responsibility would now be with the BBC, to shoulder the cost of the scheme from 2020 onwards, thus ensuring that any unpopular decisions on charging pensioners have to be made by the BBC Board rather than Government Ministers.
    The Government should not have privatised welfare policy in this way, nor introduce means testing of the benefit. the BBC had agreed to take responsibility for any future scheme and its funding from 2020.

This decision to charge the over 75’s comes four years after the government announced the BBC would take over the responsibility for providing free licences for over-75s by 2020, as part of the licence fee settlement. The agreement was not to start charging a majority of them.

At the same time, the BBC was allowed to increase the licence fee and make it obligatory to have a TV licence to use iPlayer.

We know that one of the main reasons the concession was introduced in the first place was because Britain's state pension was so low – and sadly that’s still the case.

The net effect is...
    A net reduction of an over 75's pension by £154 or to forgo TV. a stark choice for some.

Bazarchie likes this.
  8. Terrywoodenpic

I prefer not to watch Borris.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

I switched over... His delivery was cr*p.

10. Terrywoodenpic

He resorts to mumbles in the difficult bits and fails to end sentences.

Catriona likes this.
  11. peterba

It wasn't only the delivery that was cr*p. :(

Catriona likes this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that pension credit is gradually phased so that someone just above the threshold is not worse off than someone just under it. That is fair. If the licence fee is waived for people on pension credit then you automatically put a £150 step at the threshold. That is not fair. You could run into similar problems with the winter heating allowance and free bus passes.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It is easier to criticise him if you know what he said. Newspapers only quote selectively to give their readers what their owners want them to read.

14. Terrywoodenpic

I have never found it difficult to find things to criticise him about. But we certaily do not need a Trump junior as PM.

peterba likes this.
  15. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Switch to gaelic?

Lynn

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Haha! My neighbours know more of them than I do!!

17. peterba

He said "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...". Nothing more than the usual Johnson waffle.

The man is full of barely-disguised selfish ambition, and utter bullsh*t.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

and cliche's and words of 'the people' (or so he thinks). He so obviously tries to speak down to the common man and fails utterly.

peterba likes this.