1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick way to cut pensions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Terrywoodenpic, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I detest all of the above except Hugh Edwards. Who is Hugh Edwards? If he's anything like the rest of that bunch I expect that I would detest him.

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

means test on what basis? Some pensioners have very considerable capital assets but quite small income. Should they get free licenses?

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That is the question, Roger. I don’t know how it would be done.

If as Terry says, this concession was built into the state pension as an alternative to an increase in pension pay then my view has changed anyway.

Further edit. Thinking about it, the admin cost for means testing someone would probably cost more than they would gain!

peterba and Catriona like this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well it has worried my near blind 87 year old neighbour who asked me about it this morning. He listens to programmes and news programmes since he struggles to read anything these days.
    I have spent my life reaching milestones and finding the goalposts have shifted. Being a post-war baby-boomer I suppose I should have expected it to happen. However, many reports hit the news about pensions received by other European (including Ireland) countries who get much higher pensions than we do. I mean MUCH higher pensions - so to recoup at least some of the tax I've paid over my 48 year working and paying tax and some of it serving my country in the RAF, I still like getting my cold weather payment, my free bus rides and precription, and was looking forward to not paying the licence fee if I reach 75! I don't watch much BBC, apart from Parliament, so I sometimes wonder why I am paying it now as I have done for the last 50 years.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Ever since WW2 (and probably earlier than that) the National Census etc has been delivering data which could have very easily been used to identify how many people will under and over 60 years old in 50-60 years time. Undoubtedly, successive governments have preferred to view things in the short term, rather than half a century later.

If HMG had heeded those warnings back then, increased taxation in the meantime to allow for this eventuality by also ring-fencing this money so it couldn't be used until 40-50 years later, we wouldn't be in as bad a pickle as we are now. But as I have said, political parties are only interested in short-term planning.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's not the answer. Pensions and other welfare has to be paid for by current wealth and that can only be done by current taxation which is why Labour set up the welfare state the way they did. The tories have never been able to accept this because they don't believe in taxation (their mindset having frozen somewhere around 1625 when Charles Stuart took the Union's throne). The people to tax are those with the most money - who are generally affronted that they should be expected to share their wealth with people too stupid to steal it (like they and their parents did).

Bottom line: this country is awash with money but the tories have decided that it's only for the benefit of the right people - who don't include anyone who hasn't got lots of it already. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

saxacat, AGW and peterba like this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Not so. Census data did not predict that people would live quite as long as we do. Many very nice pension schemes have got caught out by that.

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Wow - that could almost have been one of my rants, Andrew. ;) (Except that you have a better grasp of history than I :D).

Trannifan and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree, Nige - more trouble than it's worth.

What's more, any system will have flaws, and as a consequence, there'll always be some poor sod who ends up on the wrong side of the line, when they should really be receiving the subsidy.

dream_police likes this.
  10. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Well the usual way round that (read excuse) is " Ah, but it comes from a different part of the budget"

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Was it really the case that it was given in lieu of a pension rise? I cannot find any evidence to support this.

Derek W likes this.
  12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

But only relevant if there are any buses running anywhere near where you live.
    Are bus passes example of the rural taxpayers subsidising the travel of the urban retired?

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Audience figures ... if the figures for programmes featuring these people fell dramatically, the BBC could replace them with other people who would probably cost just as much.

The only one of these I've watched or heard on the BBC is Huw Edwards, and I'm sure that somebody much less expensive could do the job. I think the others are all some kind of 'celebrity'.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If they got rid of Jeremy Vine who would pensioners phone of a lunchtime?

15. miked

miked Well-Known Member

In my case, if I ever have to make a call at lunchtime, it is usually to the dentist, chiropodist, doctor or some tradesman or other......So does Mr Vine do plumbing work on the side?

16. Andrew Flannigan

The simple truth is that the money paid out to performers and administrators by the BBC is obscene. As it exists on money taken from poor people it should be required to restrict salaries and other payments to no more than the national average. That would encourage the overpaid to look elsewhere for a trough to stick their noses in and at the same time make more opportunities for newcomers to get a showing.

saxacat likes this.
  17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The Women's World Cup football is currently taking place in France. On BBC Breakfast Show the Beeb have a sports presenter (presumably with cameraman, sound recordist and director) on the beach in Nice every morning. Why...??

Couldn't that have been done back in the studio in Manchester? In front of a blue/green screen if necessary?

What a waste of money.....

18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

No it was more convoluted than that. The Bbc wanted to incrase the licence fee.
    Brown wanted to remove the burden of paying for over 75's out of taxation.
    so he made the license fee rise conditional on the BBC picking up the tab by 2020.
    the Bbc have now reneged on that agreement by charging most over 75's.
    The net result is that over 75's are picking up the tab themselves, and the BBc are still getting the raised fee.
    either way it is being paid for out of over 75's pensions.
    when Brown had guaranteed that they would not suffer.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Yet another of his "brilliant" schemes down the pan...

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Except that's not true. It was Osborne in 2015 who moved the burden of payment of the fee to the BBC, as part of the attempt to exert further political control over it - it's no surprise it's become the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation since the charter renewal. It's false to claim the BBC are reneging over a deal made with Brown, and it's false to claim that it's being paid out of over 75s pensions. The financial squeeze on the BBC is from one area only - the Conservative government, who are the ones ultimately to blame for this, as well as the state of the country. How they keep getting a free ride is beyond me.

saxacat and peterba like this.