1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick way to cut pensions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Terrywoodenpic, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

So the government has found a quick way to cut the pensions of the over 75's by £150.
    No more free TV licences.
    True the BBC get the money, But it is not even a question of fairness as present licencees payers will not pay any less. It just puts more money into the BBC coffers and saves the Government having to give any support.
    Previously a free license for the over 75's was a condition for the BBC to be able to charge for their licence.
    It did not actually cost them anything as it was not money they ever had.

But it is a net new loss to us oldies.
    it has exactly the same effect as cutting our pensions by £150.

peterba likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes - and Mrs May had the audacity to say that she was "very disappointed" about this. :mad:

She was trying to blame it on the BBC, rather than admitting her own hand in it. However, those of us with long memories know that it was the Blair government that introduced the over-75s measure in the year 2000... therefore, if the then-government was able to introduce it, then it must be the current goverenment (i.e. not the BBC) which is removing it. Bloody disgraceful. :mad:

Also worthy of note, is that the Tory manifesto for the 2017 election pledged to retain the over-75s measure. Another unkept promise. :mad:

[for clarity, no self-interest in this grumble - I'm a good way from the qualifying age. :)]

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  3. Terrywoodenpic

And I am way past it.

But it will be interesting to see if it comes up in Parliament.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Its not the small amount of cash that matters to me but the attitude behind this measure. It stinks. We subsidised our elderly when we were younger, but now it is our turn to benefit we get the two fingered gesture. An alternative to this was to cut a channel. I would cut BBC Parliament. This channel should not be funded by licence money. If it is funded at all then it should be funded by taxpayers.

miked and Terrywoodenpic like this.
  5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There's a petition here.
    Doubt it'll make any difference but worth a try.

peterba likes this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Thanks, Roger - done! I share your scepticism about the likelihood of overturning this, but it's worth a try.

Funny how we can readily afford to put on massive security and extravagant banquets for visiting narcissitic orange megalomaniacs, but we can't afford this basic item for our older folk. And that's before we start to consider the billions wasted on Brexshit.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If the BBC stopped making excessive payments to talentless prats they could manage on what they've already got. Not that I'm being judgemental here...

:mad:

nimbus likes this.
  8. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I'm in 100% agreement with this statement!
    OMG, I'm obviously mellowing in my old age and actually agreeing with people rather than being argumentative!o_O

9. Terrywoodenpic

For many those older pensioners sailing close to limit of their budget a £150+ payment for a TV licence is equivalent to a pension cut of the same amount, or their food budget for a month.

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

A few of the top BBC payouts ( a year out of date).
    Gary Lineker - £1,750,000-£1,759,999
    Chris Evans - £1,660,000-£1,669,999
    Graham Norton - £600,000-£609,999
    Steve Wright - £550,000-£559,999
    Huw Edwards - £520,000-£529,999
    Jeremy Vine - £440,000-£449,999

11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Lest we forget: Free, and subsidised bus passes for pensioners are also under serious threat.

dangie and ascu75 like this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Why not means test it though? There must be many over 75’s that are living on far more than the state pension. I was reading somewhere that there are a lot of pensioners who are far better off than a lot of younger people, with no child care, no mortgage etc and potentially with a good pension as well as the state pension. Surely age isn’t just a good enough reason.

My mum for instance is 78, she has her state pension, she has income from the estate of her late husband, lives in her own flat with no mortgage. She can afford to fly to the US a couple of times a year to visit my sister, so she can easily afford the licence fee. Up until last year, she wasn’t even aware she got it free and had been paying it.

Of course I accept that there are a lot who can’t. They therefore should carry on with the free licence.

ascu75 likes this.
  13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Dare I suggest that giving up television watching could be a good thing? I haven't watched broadcast TV for decades.

14. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I gave away my television 3 years ago, I hadn't watched anything since my wife passed in 2008 apart from an occasional Spring or Autumn watch and nothing since 2014, so why waste space, I obviously don't miss it. They still send me my free license, I suppose I'll need to tell them I don't need one.

15. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

This is one of the best and most practical replies so far and holds a lot of merit!

16. Terrywoodenpic

Forget for a moment that we are talking about TV licences. ( that was given in lieu of a pension rise.)

Do you believe that some pensioners should have their pensions cut by £150+. because they are not living on the bread line.
    Is it your idea of a fair pension, to cut and pay the minimum possible just because some pensioners have savings.
    Is it a good Idea to reduce the pensions of some to bring every one to the same level of poverty.
    A means tested benefit is used to lower payments and all incomes to a common lower level.

A pension is not a hand out. it is something that has been earned. as everyone eventually finds out.

When

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that. When it was mentioned earlier in this thread that it was a cut, I assumed it was meant that one had to now spend the money.

18. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

If folk would read/investigate/understand before foaming at the mouth they would know that the proposal IS to means test it. Pretty crudely it has to be said but the proposal is that any household into which pension credit is paid would still get free TV . So there's an attempt to protect the poorer pensioner.

Then take the fact that , in general, we pensioners are much better off than our kids (and we are on the property ladder - maybe at the top of it!) I think that taking the free TV licence off the richer end of the pension population isn't a bad idea. Although I'll be worse off I'm not going to scream and shout about it if it helps to stop a fee increase for the rest of you!

MickLL

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

However, as (according to a newspaper article I've just read) pension credit has one of the lowest take-up rates, that seems like a good way of cutting costs.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Crudely means testing can imply that several concessions all disappear at once. Someone might miss out on a small amount of pension credit because they are a couple of quid over the income threshold. That's reasonable; there has to be a limit somewhere for pension credit. Baseing TV licence, and bus pass concessions on entitlement to pension credit could cost several hundred pounds a year.

RogerMac likes this.