1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q / Q10 differences?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Atavar, May 12, 2013.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I've been enjoying my Q immensely and thought about getting a Q10 (Was originally thinking of the 02 zoom but could have a second body with that lens for only a little more £) but since the firmware update gave the original Q the focusing boost, is there really that much in it between the two...?

The main differences I can see are the battery life adding 40 shots and the maximum shutter speed being at a very desirable 1\8000 rather than the original Q's rather pedestrian 1/2000. But that lead me to wondering...

The shutter is in the lens, and as far as I can work out they have had no mechanical upgrade, so is the Q10's 'new improved sensor' the source of this shutter speed increase using an improved electronic shutter and lots of extra wiring (finally answering the question of how a seemingly identical sensor could be new and improved) or could there potentially be a firmware update one day unlocking the Q shutter to 1\8000 if no extra sensor wiring was required?

And my final Q10 question - Custom colours: Yellow body and black grip or metallic green body with brown grip? ;)

2. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Custom colours...if you're going for the Q10 you might as well indulge! We don't have to be stuffy boring photographers always dressed in black! The Q is metal and solid, the Q10 is plastic but still solid. The sensor may have been tweaked but results from both are good. As for the shutter speed, as I understand it there is an electronic in-camera shutter plus the shutter in some lenses and the K adapter. This is to prevent distortion at high shutter speeds with moving objects. This distortion is, I think, related to the speed of stripping the data from the sensor, which doesn't happen in one huge block of information. I suppose a similar thing to the focal plane shutter distortion of yore.

3. sillyconguru

sillyconguru Well-Known Member

The Q also has a maximum 1/8000th electronic shutter speed, it always has had.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Ah, many thanks for the information :) I've just turned on the electronic shutter and it's working a charm, lens shutter to 2000th then electronic after that.

And indeed after a little searching i've found that the Q10 is listed in its product description as having just this arrangement.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/hybrid/Q10_Silver#!product-specs

The original Q just keeps getting better and better :) Looks like the Q10 is an update rather than an upgrade...?

I must say I much prefer a metal body, didn't realise the 10 was plastic. Really should not make a difference, but hey ho, horses for courses. May end up getting a second original Q as a second body with 02 lens at this rate, even without custom colours :) Couple of spare batteries'll do the trick too I think :)

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Depends on whether or not you want to be seen publically holding something looking like an electronic banana, or a camera in camoflage !

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I think you've just sold me on the electronic banana :)

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

aren't they available at Ann Summers?

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I really would not like to think what sort of aperture they may have in mind for those ones. :eek:

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

^WTAS^ and, personally, if I were looking for a backup body I would
    try find another Q body simply because I've never had a fiddle nor seen a
    Q10 :eek: Also, aside from the cr@ppy LCD in sunny weather, I love my Q :)

Of course, having said that, I've just ordered a Ricoh GR IV in lieu of a second
    body, at the moment ;)

Cheers,

jack

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hey Jack!
    Thought of you the other day. Was at the top of Tottenham Court Rd, passing the old Photomarkets shop (now Spectrum) which had its shop window full of Pentax Qs displaying all the colours of the rainbow and some more besides.

Fantastic ...

... even to Oly's Olybacker eyes! :)

Cheers,
    Oly

11. Done_rundleCams

Hi Oly,

Now that would be cool to see ... hint hint ;)

And, speaking of camera shops (ex and otherwise) here is an intersection/corner of infamy for me (in London, that is) CLICK HERE

:D

jack

12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Well having had the camera a while now the Q really is an absolute diamond, as long as time is taken to learn its capabilities it's a stormer.

13. IvorETower

...and just round the corner from there used to be a Morgan shop too; this was a great place for me to while away an hour or so, each time I went up to London. Sadly I haven't been to this location for many, many months due to the downfall of those interesting shops

14. Done_rundleCams

Well stated, Atavar :) and my only (real) complaint about the Q is the 'expletive deleted' LCD screen on sunny days :( But, luckily, being from Vancouver that is, normally, the exception to the rule ;)

Cheers,

jack

15. IvorETower

Careful... you are putting me off my target of visiting Vancouver towards the end of this year!

16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

The optional hotshoe viewfinder would put paid to that little problem no doubt ;)

I accidentally bought a Pentax WG-2 (orange) so the electronic banana will have to wait for next month's pay cheque in favour of the outlandish Judge Dredd affair that is the WG-2.

17. Done_rundleCams

Well, I don't know how to tell you this Ivor, but, if I make it out to the airport to meet you look for this ....

[​IMG]

albeit with a smaller camera and lens ;) .... our December's are much the same as yours .... as well as the months on either side :D

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  18. Done_rundleCams

Plus you can't go swimming with an electric banana :D

Cheers,

jack

19. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Great shot Jack, must have been taken with a Nikon......Ha Ha Ha.....:D
    Were you protecting your camera from your coffee?

20. Done_rundleCams

Hi Dave,

Not sure what camera or who took it :eek: I was shooting a demo and think I got too close with my 12-24 lens and had my pic taken, put up on someone's Flickr site which someone noticed and forwarded to me. Cool shot said I and decided to save me and post it as necessary :D I never worry about me coffee ;)

Cheers,

Jack