1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putin has really blown it.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

So we now have lunatics running the 2 super powers. To quote Tom Lehrer: "we will all go together when we go". :cool:

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It's terrifying how similar the language of the three craziest rulers in the world is.

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I doubt he's blown it at all. He knows exactly what he's doing. He's pretty adept at using his rhetoric and behaviour to bolster political support at home. Seems familiar, eh?

Zou likes this.
  5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's what all politicians do everywhere in the world and always will.

Zou likes this.
  6. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Well, in Russia there's an election going on, so Putin's showing off to the people, how tough he is. Maybe, he's also looking enviously at Xi Jinping's new status?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. willie45

It's what they try to do for sure. My point is that Putin's good at it; many others, for example Mrs T May, not so much. Mind you, she hasn't tried being photographed, topless, on a horse yet.

Zou and Roger Hicks like this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Willie,

Did you HAVE to bring quite such a ghastly image to mind? Or indeed, TWO such ghastly images, Putin and May? Preferably on separate horses...

Cheers,

R.

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It's OK, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has spoken to our government and confirmed his suppo....oh...he's just been fired.

I'm sure that there's no connection between the two events.

Cheers, Jeff

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

To be fair to Mrs May, Willie, this isn't the only thing that she's not good at... ;)

11. Roger Hicks

Dear Jeff,

Any more of that, comrade*, and you'd better watch out....

I had to Google to verify that you weren't joking. Well, presumably the boss (Vladimir Vladimirovich) laid down the law to Donald Frederickovich.

Incidentally, does anyone know what NON-"Weapons Grade" nerve agents look like? Can I pop into (let us say) Boots the Chemist in Moscow and say, "I'd like some... er... non-weapons-grade Novochok. I have trouble with... errr.... mice. Yes, that's it, mice." Or do they still have Timothy White's in Russia?

*You can take Russia out of the Soviet Union but you can't take the Soviet Union out of Vladimir Vladimirovich.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    willie45 likes this.
  12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I wonder if we could get Putin in the next transfer window? I have always believed good politicians should be traded.

But there must be outstanding politicians who are wasted in small countries and would love a go at managing a big one.

13. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

And vice versa -- though why would we wish Trump on Tuvalu? Or Alexander Stanleyovich on the Holy See?

Cheers,

R.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Indeed not, I imagine it will stay that way as well.

15. Roger Hicks

Please God!

Cheers,

R.

16. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Nor, it would seem, from comrade Corbyn, after his speech in the house yesterday.

17. Roger Hicks

No, I don't think he's a communist sympathizer. Just useless. I admire many of his principles but yesterday's speech tipped the balance conclusively against him. Keir Starmer for Labour party leader!

Cheers,

R.

18. willie45

We flatter Mr Corybn by giving him credit for being some sort of undercover plotter. I don't mistrust Mr Corbyn because I believe him to be subversive. I distrust him because he is a buffoon.

19. Roger Hicks

Dear Willie,

Be fair! He doesn't have enough personality to be a buffoon. Unlike (for example) Alexander Stanleyevich or Rees-Mogg. Useless, yes. Buffoon, no. They're both.

Cheers,

R.

peterba and willie45 like this.
  20. willie45

The truth

1464_big.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    SqueamishOssifrage and Zou like this.