1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proud owner of a Leica iiia now...... what lens?

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Craig Vanrooy, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Craig Vanrooy

Craig Vanrooy Active Member

Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for the recommendations on one of my previous posts. I went to the real camera store in Manchester this weekend and after drooling over a LOT of cameras my partner picked up a iiia for me for my Christmas present!

Unfortunately, at the time I couldn't justify the cost of a Leica lens so i am wondering what is the best interim option? the store had a few cheaper (I presume Soviet lenses) but these were still around the £60 mark but were black and bulky - unfitting for the camera really.

I've done some research into other lenses but its a complete minefield! so far I'm looking at the collapsible ones like the Industar 50 22 and 10 as they can be picked up from £30-£50 on eBay but its mainly based on aesthetics at the moment.

Can i get by with these for the time being or is there any better recommendations?

Thanks,

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Industar and Jupiter 50mm lenses are quite decent in general but samples vary. Important: be aware that SLR versions of both lenses were made in Leica thread for the Zenit M series. These will fit the Leica but won't focus to infinity and have no rangefinder coupling ring. The collapsible Industar is OK for rangefinders.

3. Craig Vanrooy

Cheers, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a collapsible Industar. if they are a bit hit and miss I'll look at picking up one from a shop then rather than eBay where most appear to be in Eastern Europe.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Craig,

Sample variation with FSU lenses is ENORMOUS. But then, after 50-80 years, sample variation with proper Elmars can be quite big too. Yes, buy one from a shop: a very much better idea.

But are ratty old Elmars really that expensive nowadays?

Cheers,

R.

5. Craig Vanrooy

Cheers Roger. The cheaper lenses I've seen so far go for around £35..... So far I've not found an elmar under £130

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Craig,

Good Lord!

Cheers,

R.

7. Craig Vanrooy

Yup, and even that was on eBay! The rest I have seen are at least 160!

8. Craig Vanrooy

I've also found a 1.8 Canon rangefinder lens for around £120. Not collapsible but would one of these be any good?

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Some of the Canon lenses were very good indeed. I used the later black and chrome 35mm f1.8 which was very sharp with smooth out of focus areas at full aperture.

10. Craig Vanrooy

Cheers all. In the quest of trying to keep things cheap I've ended up doing the opposite!

Managed to pick up an Elmar lens for £100 - It came with a free Canon IV too! the camera has seen better days but it is an excuse how to do a CLA.

Also picked up a 1.8 canon lens in great condition for £80!